Wandering steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firemandad

Reaction score
Does it wander at low speeds and high speeds as well? Your truck has an EVO valve/sensor. Which means it is an electronically variable orifice in the power steering system. If contaminated with debris or malfunctioning it won’t open or close according to vehicle speed. Ie. at slower parking lot speeds it’s very easy to turn, but at higher speeds it has more resistance to turning for stability.

sparetimefab

Reaction score
Does it wander at low speeds and high speeds as well? Your truck has an EVO valve/sensor. Which means it is an electronically variable orifice in the power steering system. If contaminated with debris or malfunctioning it won’t open or close according to vehicle speed. Ie. at slower parking lot speeds it’s very easy to turn, but at higher speeds it has more resistance to turning for stability.
I have a evo delete setup being delivered fri hopefully this will fix the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sparetimefab

Reaction score
Also we deleted the abs and wheel speed sensors so i believe i caused my issue

lumpdog602

Reaction score
Here it goes. 99 suburban lowered 4/6 new tie rods, new djm upper and lower control arms with new ball joints and bushings, new idler arm, new pitman arm, New steering box, new power steering pump, new intermediate shaft, new belltech shocks, new rotors and bearings, new leaf springs. Everything feels tight. Ive had it aligned 3 times and i cant get it to stop wandering all over. It doesn't pull but just randomly goes either way. When i correct the steering it always over corrects the opposite way. I am fed up and dont know what else to do. Thanks in advance for any help.
You must be registered for see images attach

Steering speed sensor on column? Feel like your driving on ice?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mykytiuk

Reaction score
Caster shouldn’t have changed. Camber is easy to check with a cheap angle/degree gauge. My suggestion is to check the toe-in. Should be at least 1/8 inch narrower in front measured from the front of the tire and the back of the tire at the centerline across. Maybe give it another 1/8 to 1/4 inch toe-in. Gonna get some debate here but this is 1920s tech!!!

sparetimefab

Reaction score
Steering speed sensor on column? Feel like your driving on ice?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yes I have the gm delete tube being delivered today and will install on sat. Hopefully this will end this issue.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having same issue as OP...new front end everything but still experiencing a small amount of play in steering wheel. Alignment helped a lot but still an issue I’d like to fix. Alignment sheet below:

sparetimefab

Reaction score
Having same issue as OP...new front end everything but still experiencing a small amount of play in steering wheel. Alignment helped a lot but still an issue I’d like to fix. Alignment sheet below:

I can let you know Saturday on my results ofnthe evo delete.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how it drives afterward as well, I'm keeping my EVO but I've always wondered how much the delete kit lowers the line pressure from full boost.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also we deleted the abs and wheel speed sensors so i believe i caused my issue

No this doesn’t change anything.
I have a SAS and those sensors have been gone for a long time. Even before I deleted the EVO and I never noticed anything. And many people pull those fuses. No Ill effects

Last edited: