Wandering down the road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As mentioned briefly above, this kind of sounds like an EVO issue. If it's a '97+, I would try unplugging the column sensor under the dash. This will put the EVO system in full boost and should make your steering feel loose and effortless, sometimes accompanied by the wandering feeling you describe. If you unplug that sensor and nothing changes, it's a reasonable assumption that the EVO system has a fault of some sort.

Lsp1369

Reaction score
Not to bring an old post from the dead.. but was this EVO sensor on any of the pre 97 systems with hydroboost?

I've done the supersteer drag link mount, all xrf ball joints, heim joint tie rod ends and everything else short of dropping the money on a redhead steering gear. Just wondering if my 1996 k2500 burb (7.4) has this EVO system that I could dig into before dropping money on the redhead.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just look under the front of the engine. If it's got EVO there should be a 2 wire pigtail branching off from the crank sensor, to the P/S pump at the pressure hose fitting.
But @df2x4 is right. Some '97's, all '98 onward. I've never seen one on a '96.