VSS again. 1997 Chevy K 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony G

Reaction score
Ok, I'm lost. Been reading the posts and I think I overloaded on what everyone has done and how this problem is fixed. Intermittent issues of the speedo, tach, odometer not working, coinciding with the transmission starting in 3rd gear. It starts in third from a stop and won't shift into overdrive. I'm not posting this in the transmission section because it is not a transmission issue. At times, the truck decides to cooperate and everything works great, even the speedometer is dead on accurate, according to the radar road signs. Life is good when the truck gets all the proper electrical signals from the proper places. I'm not going to be able to diagnose this. I just don't have the skills. But I can follow advise pretty well! Where does one go after one has replaced the VSS on the transfer case and that hasn't fixed the issue?

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Ignition switch, my 97 did this exact same thing. Got a new ignition switch and cured it, everything works now.

Tony G

Reaction score

Tony G

Reaction score
Ran into a little problem replacing the ignition switch harness. There are three wires going into what appears to be a plastic collar around the steering column, close to the firewall, inside the cab. I can't see a way to see what is under there unless I destroy that black plastic bit, which I'm willing to do, if I know what is under there. Is there a connector for these wires under there? The wires are blue, orange and black. Thanks.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
The black plastic box where the wiring harness connects to can be pulled out to get to that 3 wire connector on the side of the column. It is fairly easy to get to once the box is pulled down, but there is some soft insulation around the connector, kind of an inconvenience. This video helped me the most on doing it:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Tony G

Reaction score
The black plastic box where the wiring harness connects to can be pulled out to get to that 3 wire connector on the side of the column. It is fairly easy to get to once the box is pulled down, but there is some soft insulation around the connector, kind of an inconvenience. This video helped me the most on doing it:
Thanks, I figured it our when I saw the diagram at the parts store.. Just waiting for the part till tomorrow.

Tony G

Reaction score
Great video but it doesn't cover those 3 wires to the steering column. I just can't get those bloody things to come off. That harness in the video does not have those 3 wires.