Vortec to 383

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm learning so don't laugh. So let's say you remove your 5.7 vortec and have it bored for a 383 build.

I've read the stock injectors on the vortec are a limiting factor for power gains.

If you buy different heads you need a different intake so then what fuel injectors would you need to buy and would everything wire up to the stock harness?

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
That's a good question. If money were no concern most would use the Holley Sniper, but if your talking factory EFI then I have no idea. If it were me I would be looking into a carburetor/intake setup that would work well with the heads and cam you pick.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan on doing a 383 upgrade for my 98 4dr Tahoe. According to GM they offer a 383 engine to drop in. Using your existing fuel setup. The computer makes any adjustments for the increased displacement. A change in compression ratio and or cam would need further research.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can get an upgraded spider but they are a little spendy. Even a stock 350 needs some manifold porting work. Cammed 305 even responded to the ported manifold. 425-450 is about the limit of the stock injectors running them at 75 psi.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i have a new Delphi upgraded injector set-up. A 383 vortec style engine. The wife gave me some shorty Ceramic headers for Christmass. MSD distributor and multispark ignition sys. A radiator like the one in my K2500. Same dimensions but 4 row. A few other factory things I borrowed off some of the heavy duty options and installed. So originally the Tahoe was close to 300 horses when new. When completed if i get 325 horses I will be happy. It won't ever be a towing machine, just 4 or 5 in comfort. Or me lighting the tires up when i can get away with it. Sorry my foot slipped..

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get an upgraded spider but they are a little spendy. Even a stock 350 needs some manifold porting work. Cammed 305 even responded to the ported manifold. 425-450 is about the limit of the stock injectors running them at 75 psi.
What do they normally run at and how do you run them at 75psi?