vortec hesitation when first going into gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97zSC

Reaction score
1997 k1500
Rebuilt 3rd and 4th gear as well as all the solenoids in the 4l60e about two years ago, after that it ran and drove fine until the head gaskets blew then it sat for about a year and a half. Just recently finished putting new heads and head gaskets on and it doesn't really want to start up without starter fluid when it's cold but once it's warm I can kill it and start it just fine (I'm guessing from the almost 2 year old gas). Fuel pressure was like 45-50 lbs I don't remember exactly, it was 5 below the recommended. New spark plugs and wires, new distributor, new intake gaskets (upper and lower), valve cover gaskets. But now the main issue, whenever I first put the truck into gear I have to rev it up to about 3500-4000rpm to get any movement, if at all. But then it seems like it catches and I can go from reverse to drive and back and forth and it'll be responsive instantly and roll at idle.

I haven't taken it out of the yard yet so I'm not sure how it's shifting but I'll be doing that today, what else should I do to try and pinpoint the issue, or if anybody has experienced this before and can tell me what they think the issue is?