Vortec cam and EFI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dk47

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I know this has been asked over and over, but I really want experienced answers. I want a cam for hp and also want a lopey idle. I realize that the stock vortec EFI will only support so much. I also plan on having it retuned but if I save that and spend it on carb and intake I will. I have shorty headers and no cats with true duals. Any advice or information on carb swap is appreciated. I don't know what all I would need but if I can get what I want with EFI, that's fine too. Thanks

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im sure you can run a lopey cam with even Vortec EFI. Might have to swap to 0411, the LS guys been doing that for years. Go to youboob and search sloppy stage 2. The higher the number the choppier the idle.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I originally installed the engine in WCJr in my '99 Suburban, and the Vortec injection (converted to MPFI) had no issues running it on the stock tune. I absolutely needed a retune, but it didn't misfire at WOT. That's with a lopey Lunati 20080720 cam - .507/.515 lift and 211/219 duration. I had a bit of trouble starting it in the video below, but understand that it was with dry fuel lines. Once I got it started, it started as easily as stock from then on.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TBI was an entirely different story. I ended up swapping WCJr to a Holley Sniper because the TBI just couldn't handle it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Lope" means "Misfire". "Misfire" means overheated catalyst and faulty O2 sensor readings driving the mixture to rich-command.

Why would you deliberately sabotage your powerband, especially in a truck which generally needs all the low-end power it can get?

Buy the camshaft to have the powerband that you need, not the idle jitters that "impress" people you don't know, and who don't actually care. You can always ground one of the plug wires when you drive down to the Dairy Queen for "Car Night". At least it runs right the rest of the time.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran my 383 with a L31 truck intake that was ported and even a stock MPFI upgrade spider for a while. LS computer and tuning. I have since swapped it to a marine intake for more power.

Dk47

Reaction score
"Lope" means "Misfire". "Misfire" means overheated catalyst and faulty O2 sensor readings driving the mixture to rich-command.

Why would you deliberately sabotage your powerband, especially in a truck which generally needs all the low-end power it can get?

Buy the camshaft to have the powerband that you need, not the idle jitters that "impress" people you don't know, and who don't actually care. You can always ground one of the plug wires when you drive down to the Dairy Queen for "Car Night". At least it runs right the rest of the time.
What can would that be is the question

Dk47

Reaction score
I originally installed the engine in WCJr in my '99 Suburban, and the Vortec injection (converted to MPFI) had no issues running it on the stock tune. I absolutely needed a retune, but it didn't misfire at WOT. That's with a lopey Lunati 20080720 cam - .507/.515 lift and 211/219 duration. I had a bit of trouble starting it in the video below, but understand that it was with dry fuel lines. Once I got it started, it started as easily as stock from then on.

TBI was an entirely different story. I ended up swapping WCJr to a Holley Sniper because the TBI just couldn't handle it.
Thank you. I've watched your other videos on YouTube. I do appreciate your advice.

Dk47

Reaction score
I ran my 383 with a L31 truck intake that was ported and even a stock MPFI upgrade spider for a while. LS computer and tuning. I have since swapped it to a marine intake for more power.

What cam are you running in it? Did you have any problems with vacuum? Thanks