Vortec aftermarket valve covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Can't remember if it was Geoff or The other guy with that same style truck that had those. He just did an engine build.

~Via Mobile \,,/

AshleySellsCars

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What type of or height valve covers are
For the 5.7L on say… a 1996?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What type of or height valve covers are
For the 5.7L on say… a 1996?
Huh?

OEM would be plain black-painted stamped-steel.

Sky's the limit on aftermarket valve covers, as long as they've got four bolts down the middle. My preference is for the cast (magnesium?) "Corvette" covers. This is what I had when I was using center-bolt heads. (Photo stolen from The Internet.)
Photo 1. "Corvette" cast valve covers https://www.mirrorfinishpolishing.c...ROME-LIKE-POLISHING-VALVE-COVER-BEFORE-66.JPG
You must be registered for see images attach

When I dumped my center-bolt heads, I bought similar covers for perimeter-bolt heads.
Photo 2. Same covers in perimeter bolt version. (Missing emblem.)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Depends on how far back your A/C compressor and alternator stick out. I would like to use the Corvette valve covers on my Burb, if I could find a set that weren't too expensive. Is the Vortec valve train any taller than on the TBI engine? (Sorry if that's a dumb question,but I don't have a TBI engine to measure).

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how far back your A/C compressor and alternator stick out. I would like to use the Corvette valve covers on my Burb, if I could find a set that weren't too expensive. Is the Vortec valve train any taller than on the TBI engine? (Sorry if that's a dumb question,but I don't have a TBI engine to measure).
Any of the OEM covers should clear the accessories. Aftermarket "tall" covers might not.

The Vortec valvetrain isn't any taller than TBI.

Did I mention that I hid full roller rockers under my 'Vette perimeter valve covers? I think I needed double gaskets to clear the tall adjuster nuts, but I'd have to lift the hood and check to be certain. I'm not sure I could fit those rockers under center-bolt covers, at least not without modification. And of course, double gaskets aren't an option with center-bolt covers.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Any of the OEM covers should clear the accessories. Aftermarket "tall" covers might not.

The Vortec valvetrain isn't any taller than TBI.

Did I mention that I hid full roller rockers under my 'Vette perimeter valve covers? I think I needed double gaskets to clear the tall adjuster nuts, but I'd have to lift the hood and check to be certain. I'm not sure I could fit those rockers under center-bolt covers, at least not without modification. And of course, double gaskets aren't an option with center-bolt covers.

OK thanks! I thought they were interchangeable but wasn't sure,so that's why I asked. So the Vette covers will go on the wish list; something to look for at swap meets.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have full roller rockers under my stock Vortec valve covers. Note - the Vortec valve covers are *nearly* identical to TBI valve covers, but have a narrower PCV baffle. The TBI valve covers don't fit with my rockers.