Vortec 5.7 fuel trims positive, running rich, fuel pressure issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
97 SUburban 5.7, 214k miles, running pretty rich (but NO codes), fuel trims are very much positive. LTFT is 20-25% on both banks. Even if I reset the codes it goes back to that almost right away.

I have tested it for vacuum leaks and took it to the shop and they found no vacuum leaks either and generally said nothing is wrong with it.

I thought the MAF was bad so I replaced that. Also cleaned EGR valve because I thought maybe it was sticking open a little causing a vacuum leak since earlier this week I had a P0400 code once, but it never came back. That seems to have made my hesitation off idle especially on a cold engine much less noticeable but it didn't fix the main issue.

upstream O2 sensors while driving:

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't get why they are different, I'm wondering if that is because it's running rich or is the O2 sensor the problem?

I don't know why I bothered testing fuel pressure when the truck starts up right away and runs but this is the result. Based on this, I think I might have more than one problem. The fuel pressure is not consistently 60+ and it bleeds down very quickly. I would suspect the fuel pressure regulator is bad and leaking gas into the intake, but I replaced that a few thousand miles ago and also I would expect the fuel trims to be negative if it was leaking gas into the engine, right?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thank you for any input...

Last edited:

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be WAAAYYYY off but,

What is the coolant temp reading on the scan tool?

I ran across 3 different GM vehicles in 2 days with no codes and running rich. ALL off them had the same reading of -40° on the scan tool. (Must be the 'default'). Changed the sensors on all 3 vehicles and no more rich conditions.

Hope this helps.

mistaake

Reaction score
I may be WAAAYYYY off but,

What is the coolant temp reading on the scan tool?

I ran across 3 different GM vehicles in 2 days with no codes and running rich. ALL off them had the same reading of -40° on the scan tool. (Must be the 'default'). Changed the sensors on all 3 vehicles and no more rich conditions.

Hope this helps.

My sensor seems to read normally, about 190f when warmed up.

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF the wiring was long enough you could simply unplug the sensors and swap the connectors to each other to see if the problem shows up on the opposite bank.

Unfortunately I don't think there is enough 'slack to perform such a move.

mistaake

Reaction score
That sounds like good numbers. Just threw the CTS out there because that's something not usually thought about.

Hey I mean it's totally the symptoms of a bad cts so it was a good call. I can get a new one for $4 but since the reading is good I take it that's a waste of time and money?

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I mean it's totally the symptoms of a bad cts so it was a good call. I can get a new one for $4 but since the reading is good I take it that's a waste of time and money?

Yea, if the numbers are 'normal' I wouldn't even load a small round in the 'parts cannon' if it's not reading bad.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the fuel pressure with ignition on/engine off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI positive fuel trims means you're running lean (adding fuel to compensate)