Vortec 454 trouble....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You say the truck just quit while driving the truck after recently replacing the spider (with a brand I’ve never heard of).

Check the big electrical connector at the spider, maybe it has come loose.

You “replaced the distributor”. Does this mean the actual distributor or does it mean the cap and rotor?

Is the ignition control module new also?

The times I have seen the TBIs and Vortecs suddenly quit it was most often the ignition control module.
454's don't have a spider they have have individual injectors. From what I've read on here the injectors OP installed are the ones to use a upgrade.

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you explain what that actually means?

What "fire" are you talking about? Do you mean "spark"?

Spark does not "go to" the ignition coil.

The wires that plug into into the coil. I put my test light in there. It lights up.

Do you have the skill to replace those parts correctly? In particular, did you replace the distributor so that the spark goes to the correct cylinder; and so that the distributor sensor waveform aligns with the crank sensor waveform?

It comes with the ignition module. A little packet of "grease".

Ignition module new but didn't come with no grease. Bought it at Autozone. And yes I have the skills to fix the truck. I have a 11 sec LS2 4th gen I built mostly alone. I'm just not big block educated like I am on LS motors. Reason buying the truck is to pull my car to the track when needed.
I have a buddy coming Wednesday or so thats smarter on than me on these motors. Hopefully I can find out something.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m willing to bet your ignition timing is off, from messing with the distributor cap. If you have an extra cap drill a hole in front of the 5 cylinder igniter. Put the cap on and hook everything back up. Turn the truck over you will be able to see the spark jumping from the rotor to the cylinder 5 contact and you can turn the distributor until the spark is straight up and down.

My brother suggested drilling a hole in the distributor as well.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ignition module new but didn't come with no grease.
If you cleaned the old thermal paste off the distributor, this is your problem. If you didn't clean the old paste off, there's a fair chance it's still your problem.

You need to get your hands on some thermal paste. If you know any computer geeks that build their own computers, they'll have some. If you google "thermal paste", you'll have a bunch of links to buy a little tube. Brand doesn't matter much, even the cheap stuff works.

The thermal paste conducts heat from the ignition module to the body of the distributor to help keep the module cool. Without the grease the modules can crap out pretty quickly and leave you by the side of the road.

When applying the paste, you want a thin layer that completely coats the exposed aluminum of the module.