Voltage gauge reacts to turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim2029

Reaction score
1998 K1500 Suburban with the 140AMP alternator. I've noticed when sitting idle, the voltage gauge will drop a little back and forth when the turn signals are on. I haven't noticed this any other time. Alternator is less than 5 years old and the battery is new this year. Headlights are bright. No other issues. Something to worry about to no?

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id say maybe normal on the early 90s trucks/suv, but I have yet to notice this on my 98. either way it is most likely caused by poor wire connections between the alternator and battery or the alternator itself. before dropping money on an alternator, id inspect and clean all your wire connections in the battery charging system

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 97 has done that the entire 7 years I’ve had it, several alternators and batteries combinations.

I think it’s related to the gage motors losing their fluid damping? It’s probably a normal reaction but we just wouldn’t see it With properly functioning gages. That’s my theory anyway.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
I’d also check the engine to frame ground strap, and the body to frame as well as bed to frame ground. Easy enough to do, get a pice of heavy gauge wire and connect one side to a bolt on the body and the other side to a frame bolt and see if the problem goes away.

you might also pull and reinsert the cluster a few times to make sure the connectors are clean.
usually little niggles like that are an effect of something not having quite a good enough ground in my experience.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
My '94 does that. I just assumed it was normal as well. Incidentally, I've change the alternator and battery both in the last two years and still the same result with the blinker voltage drop.