Visitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good for small varmint control. Oi diidnt have a scope on the Dasie when I took when I took the pic. That Benjamin is still hard to pump LOL.
You must be registered for see images attach

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dont ever set traps inside buildings.... incase you catch a damn skunk and when the dog finds it before you and you all get sprayed and then the building takes a year to not smell like a skunk exploded. that was a day from hell. I even accidentally ran over my live trap with the tractor while getting stuck in the mud. whenever I'm having a bad day I just remember that day. haha

Great story! That one is filed under "shot at and missed but sh** at and hit!"

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
there were multiple lessons to be learned. unfortunately all of them were the hard way. it happened where we used to live. we always had unwanted visitors. our animals had to be caged. we had a llama though and I watched it kill a fox that I was shooting at. ya we tag teamed a fox. I didnt hit it once with a Remington 597 22lr as it was running along the back pasture fence line against a bush. then it turned and started across the field straight toward the llama, her name was Sassy. llamas have claws like a raptor and bad attitudes towards all things that are a threat, especially canines and will straight up kill them

anyways I never grew up on a farm but we've been living on a farm for 11 years now. man when I left to get rid of the skunk the ground was frozen and then it thawed. the lil 4x4 massy with turf tires was difficult to get through mud with. when I started pulling myself with the loader was when I ran the trap over. completely flattened it but I got out of the mud and back home. my wife had the dog clean. she didnt smell at all even though she took 2 direct hits to the face.

Al

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
in canada those air rifles have the same class as a real 22. but I do have a decent 22 air rifle that I love but it's still 495 so no good on a racoon. great for pigeons inside the barn though.

Yea. Canada, eh?
Anything that fires a projectile with a muzzle velocity over 500fps requires an FAC. (Fire Arms Certificate)
Damn politicians & the granola-type lobbyists figure that by regulating responsible gun owners that they are managing to keep 'firearm violence' to a minimum.
A pellet gun w/a muzzle velocity over 500fps has to be, must be, registered as a 'firearm'?
...& I need to go to school & pass a lame-o basic knowledge test for how much $$$ before I can purchase one?
Rampant conservative bureaucratic B.S.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just curious, what's the situation if we're talking about air rifles?

You can get a Benjamin or similar break barrel single shot pellet gun with a scope that will launch a .22 caliber pellet at nearly 1000FPS for around $200. I just looked into this for muskrat control at my dad's house in the city.
Hes a big old boy. Probably sbout 40 or 45 pounds
I dont think I could one shot him with an air rifle and Im not gonna torture him.
Thanks for the input everybody.
Im going to watch out for him and if he shows any more aggresion or any sign of rabies I will just have to buck shot him and deal with it.
I dont even think I can take him out in the dark with a 22.
This sucks.
I think one of the next door dogs got at him a couple of days ago and hes wounded.
But vhe is real fearless and showing teeth aggressive
Cops wont show up for a car jacking or a home invasion.
But discharging a firearm?

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dont ever set traps inside buildings.... incase you catch a damn skunk and when the dog finds it before you and you all get sprayed and then the building takes a year to not smell like a skunk exploded. that was a day from hell. I even accidentally ran over my live trap with the tractor while getting stuck in the mud. whenever I'm having a bad day I just remember that day. haha
Geez. Ill add never set rat bait in the bilge of a 70 foot wood boat.
They eat the poison and die inside the frames and stink like hell.
Then they turn into slimey dead rat bilge jello.
And you scrape them out with a ******* spoon.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea. Canada, eh?
Anything that fires a projectile with a muzzle velocity over 500fps requires an FAC. (Fire Arms Certificate)
Damn politicians & the granola-type lobbyists figure that by regulating responsible gun owners that they are managing to keep 'firearm violence' to a minimum.
A pellet gun w/a muzzle velocity over 500fps has to be, must be, registered as a 'firearm'?
...& I need to go to school & pass a lame-o basic knowledge test for how much $$$ before I can purchase one?
Rampant conservative bureaucratic B.S.
It is just insane what they have done to law abiding Canadians.
Declared criminals without so much as a vote.
One of my oldest friends, a veteran of the Canadian military, a woman who is the captain of a container ship with a ticket that says "Any ocean, any tonnage"
Cant buy a ******* 22 rifle.
The government also wont let her operate her crappy little 21 foot boat untill she passes a "basic boating" coarse and pays them
"Any ocean, any tonnage"
For ***** sake

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I had pics (actually video) of this encounter. At my old truck shop years back, I lived in the office area up front in the building. Like many older metal buildings with office space built out, there's a big gap between the sheetrock and metal, usually filled with insulation, or in some cases, just air gap. Because of this, the windows need extra deep sills to bridge the gap. "Bedroom" window has a moving blanket hung over it to keep light and excess noise out.

So one night I'm woke by a crashing noise, thinking dammit someone is breaking in to the shop (sketchy area; part of why I LIVE there, to protect the business/tools/etc., plus, workaholic.. ) so as I begin to investigate I realize someone or something is inside the bedroom window.

As my senses start to take hold I remember, well there's burglar bars on that window (mounted exterior) so either someone has snatched the bars off with force (not likely but possible) or something else is going on. I nervously peel back the moving blanket and a huge raccoon pops out and starts running around the room. Apparently he'd come inside the building then fell down the air gap and crashed through the poorly-built "ceiling" piece of the window sill, as the top board had come loose under his weight.

So now I'm faced with a crazed (and possibly rabid) raccoon running around my office/bedroom area; there's 2 doors I can choose to let him escape through but one leads out to the hallway to the other offices with lots of chances for him to get lost/trapped/etc. inside, or the other door which leads directly into the shop.. and he's in between me and that door. :D

I brave it and manage to squeak past him and get the office-to-shop door open, open the exterior door, then have to jump back around and scooch him out and hope he makes for the outside.. which thankfully he does.

Took me a while to get back to sleep that night.. AFTER re-securing the top board in the windowsill.

Richard

Last edited: