Viper 5706v install 97 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm trying to figure out how to install this remote start, alarm viper 5706v. I think I can figure out the wiring for the most part. I have a wiring diagram for the truck and the instructions for the system but I'm trying to figure out if I need relays for the locks or not. Something about reverse polarity ect ect. It's a 97 k1500 extended cab. Does anyone know about these and can help me with the relays and such?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, you need relays for everything. If not, you will fry the viper ECM. It runs on very low amps. I have a Viper for my 97 ( without remote start) and everything is relayed.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No. paskey didn't come out till 98

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, look on you tube. Type in wiring a relay. A bunch of videos will pop up. I would post up the videos, but Im on my phone rite now.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A relay is an electro magnitic switch. It takes a very small amount of current to switch the relay on. When the relay is switched on, it pulls a set.of points over that make contact to allow a conection to another set of contacts. Once you understand how a relay works, it is easy to wire them up. There are also good videos on you tube that explans this. The reason Viper, and any company that makes these alarm, remote start systems will not warrenty the system if you do your own install, is because people think that you can just hook up whatever (door locks or anything else) directly to the control box. If you do this, it will fry the ECM. Anything you hook up to the ECM, has to go thrpugh a relay. DO NOT hook up anything directly to the Viper control box, except for the ground for the unit it self.All positive out puts have to go to a relay before going out to whatever they control, door locks, whatever. As for remote start, I cant help much there. I dont have that. I have had a Viper.alarm in my truck for about 10 years. Mine got so old that the key fob faild. I ordered a new sysyem on line and replaced it about 2 years ago. Love my alarm, and keyless entry.

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I went to car toys just to talk to them about installing it for me but the guy said that there is a passlock. How do I find out if it has a passlock? Because from what I've read, I've determined that it doesn't, but he claims to have done hundreds of these and said it started in 96. Not 98 like what I've read.

I then went to Best buy, cost was about the same, around about 390. But I ended up buying a relay for the door locks. Micro door lock relay module p/n 451m. Is this correct? It came with a bunch of little resistors.