Vinyl Color Match

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamTheMan

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Silverado extended cab and trying to match the “INTERIOR” color with a rattle can. To me this should be very simple. It is Burgundy. I guess you could say maroon. I think anyone that has these years models… maybe early 90’s to 94’, we all know the difference between red, light red, dark red, brown, and Burgundy. However repeatedly I will get 3rd party parts that isn’t close to matching a 93… usually just a red.

The actual color is called Dark Hunt Club Red (WA9927). So, my question is if anyone was able to get a rattle-can that match this color, especially Vinyl?

The next question if you don’t know of any ‘vinyl’ paint that matches, what is the best way to prepare vinyl or plastic for painting? I understand that SEM has an “adhesion promoter” that gave me the impression that any paint could be sprayed over that coat and it doesn’t have to be vinyl paint or have a flex agent in it.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had a lot of luck with Duplacolor, but Im matching gray in a 97. I tried SEM and that didn't work for me at all. I had to strip it off, and then use Duplacolor. The gray is so close that I can just spot paint ( like on the dash) and you can not tell any difference. As for vinal seats, Im sure you will need some kind of adhesion promoter. I have used acetone for this, but you have to be careful with it. It can melt some plastics. I have even used Duplacolor on a seat, but the color match is not perfect, and it makes the cloth stiff. For this, I have come back after painting, with a clean rag dipped in acetone and wiped off the fresh painted area to kind of blend it in. Thats better than just painting fabric but still not perfect. I pulled this back section of console from a 2006 Tahoe. It was beige. Of course the shifter I custom built, along with the front section of console, its wood.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used Duplicolor to recolor my interior black last year. I used Barkeep's friend and scotchbrite to scrub the plastic first, because that's what I had on hand. It's been very durable so far, but the carpet needs another application.