Vin location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When a friend rebuilt a truck (quite a number of years ago now) he had to keep track of where he got his parts.... I think showing receipts was a big part of it. That was in Michigan.

I've done several in both N.C. and Md. In NC they send a Trooper to your house to inspect it and in Md you take it to Dmv where the Trooper VTU has a building. In both situations if you buy parts from a salvage yard you're good to go but if you buy from a private party they will send you walking if the bill of sales for used parts aren't notarized.

portmod7

Reaction score
On my 1994, single cab, 2wd, long bed, I found the VIN stamped on my frame. It is on the top of the passenger frame rail, below the cab, near the rear cab mount, behind where the lip of the rail "flair" ends and goes back to a normal c-channel shape. Will be a little difficult to find/see with the cab on.

Attachments

• IMG_8239.jpeg
    IMG_8239.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

portmod7

Reaction score
What truck is that? What vin starts with a “C”? Was the frame cut?
It's just a 94 C1500 long bed. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I believe it's just the last 6 digits and the three preceeding letters of the VIN. So, the last nine digits/letters of the VIN is all that is stamped there.

The frame was cut, but, everything that was there of the VIN survived the surgery. I put up another post about that on the appropriate thread yesterday, probably best to keep that content over there :jester:

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I was wondering, thanks. I’d be curious to hold my phone above that spot and snap a picture. If you think that’s possible.

portmod7

Reaction score
That’s what I was wondering, thanks. I’d be curious to hold my phone above that spot and snap a picture. If you think that’s possible.
Do you mean high enough so that it gives better reference to the exact location? I could do that, but maybe this picture gives some context. You can see my cut lines drawn, and the upside down "U" shaped grinder marks where the cab mount was removed, and where the bed mount was removed behind that. I circled in red where the stamping is located. That's the longbed gas tank mount crossmember just behind.

I was wrong in my description of the location, the channel still has the raised "flair" where the VIN is stamped, the "flair" goes away just behind the stamping.

Attachments

• IMG_8231.jpeg
    IMG_8231.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 9

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean high enough so that it gives better reference to the exact location? I could do that, but maybe this picture gives some context. You can see my cut lines drawn, and the upside down "U" shaped grinder marks where the cab mount was removed, and where the bed mount was removed behind that. I circled in red where the stamping is located. That's the longbed gas tank mount crossmember just behind.

I was wrong in my description of the location, the channel still has the raised "flair" where the VIN is stamped, the "flair" goes away just behind the stamping.
No, I just was wondering if it’s possible that I could snap a photo. I’ll have to look, your updated photo helps.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is possible to photograph the numbers. Mine is CTE*245835
Those last 6 digits are an exact match to my VIN last 6 digits. So @portmod7 you are correct the frame is matched to VIN. :deal:
You must be registered for see images attach

The CTE is also in my VIN.:33:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: