Very tempted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To throw this sucker on the 383 while I have it apart changing lifters. Single plane with a 103mm TB. I have been considering 4.56s for a while too. I miss the snappy 5.13s I had in the 9.5 SF 14-bolt when I had the old 350 in the van. Honestly thinking of gearing it to make up for the low speed torque loss and letting it eat a bit. Cam and heads want to run to 6,200 rpm or more but it is currently choked by the marine intakes longer runners and vortec air hat at 5,500.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why so conservative? 5.13 gears, 103mm TB... pshhhh... why not go big or go home
Don't think I have not considered 5.13s, but I want to have somewhat of a useable 1st gear when the 6L90E goes in. 4.10s might actually be an acceptable trade off.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually 4.10s would cover a torque loss of ~50 ft/lbs at the stall speed rather well, just crunching some basic numbers. At 3,000 rpm I do not feel a single plane would be that far down though.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's only one way to find out how good it would really be :Big Laugh:
It starts building vacuum at 3,500 rpm and is making 2.5 in/hg manifold vacuum at 5,500 rpm now. It would be about like pulling a restrictor plate off of it on the top-end. When I threw the marine flame arrestor with its built in velocity stack on top of the throttle body to protect the engine from large debris and made a quick test drive it made almost no vacuum to 6,200 rpm and felt like it gained 40 hp. I manually shifted it at 6,200 ish and it flew.

I have known the air inlet hat is a choke point for years, but never have found a great way to eliminate it. Back in the 350 days I worked around it by giving it a chemical oxidizer when I wanted power.

Last edited: