Very rough ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s what I’ve heard over the years, the more sag/ tension we put (winding them up), the less “springy” they are,....stiffer they ride,.... could be wrong, just what everyone says. I guess it’s the reason people change them out after 20 years, if not, we could simply keep on keepin on with the crank. :banana-mario:

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe torsion bars would have to be progressive for that to be accurate.... are they progressive, or linear? I've always assumed linear.
I would assume torsion bars would be a progressive setup due to how the bar would get stiffer the more it twists? But I'm not too sure without a set of scales

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I would assume torsion bars would be a progressive setup due to how the bar would get stiffer the more it twists? But I'm not too sure without a set of scales

That's not what progressive means..... it's the rate, not the stiffness. A linear spring gets stiffer at a constant rate, meaning it's adding more resistance to compression in the same amount...... 1+1+1+1. Progressive would be more like 1+1.5+2+2.5.... it's getting stiffer faster.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not what progressive means..... it's the rate, not the stiffness. A linear spring gets stiffer at a constant rate, meaning it's adding more resistance to compression in the same amount...... 1+1+1+1. Progressive would be more like 1+1.5+2+2.5.... it's getting stiffer faster.
Thanks, it's been a while since I've dealt with suspension, but yes, I would say you're correct. Thanks for lining me out! But again, a set of scales, and a few heavier set fellas can show a lot of what suspension can do lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the bar is thicker on one end than the other, I believe this would make it progressive. My eyeball says no, they're linear.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, Supercharged111 is correct, their same thickness throughout length,.....is it correct then, that over the years, as the bars weaken/sag, and we keep cranking the longitudinal twist tighter and tighter, the springyness would decrease = rougher ride? Or are all those other dudes F.O.S. (me included). I’m not a metallurgist,....so, FIIK,... just parroting what I’ve heard over the years.

Simply want answer for the next guy that reads this post years from now.

I’d bet those torsion bars would make kick*ss hand forged knives though. Again, I’m not metallurgist.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yeah, Supercharged111 is correct, their same thickness throughout length,.....is it correct then, that over the years, as the bars weaken/sag, and we keep cranking the longitudinal twist tighter and tighter, the springyness would decrease = rougher ride? Or are all those other dudes F.O.S. (me included). I’m not a metallurgist,....so, FIIK,... just parroting what I’ve heard over the years.

Simply want answer for the next guy that reads this post years from now.

I’d bet those torsion bars would make kick*ss hand forged knives though. Again, I’m not metallurgist.

If they weaken, and we add preload, we're restoring the stock ride height and tension, and if a linear rate, more twist (when the suspension cycles) will add the same amount of tension per degree of twist. I am not a spring expert, but I don't see how that would make a rougher ride.

My dad made a few knives when he was young and worked in a machine shop. I think he usually used industrial power hacksaw blades. I can't imagine trying to pound a torsion bar flat by hand.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he usually used industrial power hacksaw blades. I can't imagine trying to pound a torsion bar flat by hand.
I've seen knives made out of leaf springs before but not torsion bars. Try making one out of 4140, or A2 steel and then heat treat it. Anyway, back to torsion bars and/or springs - over time they will lose their properties and start to sag, then you tighten them up or change the shackle height to compensate but, they still don't have the same properties so, they don't respond accordingly.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
- over time they will lose their properties and start to sag, then you tighten them up or change the shackle height to compensate...

What are you calling shackle height? The only shackle I'm familiar with is on the leaf springs in the rear.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s what I’ve heard over the years, the more sag/ tension we put (winding them up), the less “springy” they are,....stiffer they ride,.... could be wrong, just what everyone says. I guess it’s the reason people change them out after 20 years, if not, we could simply keep on keepin on with the crank. :banana-mario:

Torsion bars breaking in our trucks doesn't seem to be much of a problem probably because of the size but I know the Mopar crowd will crank a old whooped out t-bar trying to maintain a stock ride height or because they dropped a heavier engine in it and the end result is usually breakage.