Valve Spring for stock 454 heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled my heads due to replace the head gasket and discovered a broken valve spring. Im running a 2.3L whipple with larger injectors and tuned. Not sure of the HP but it seems i might wanna get better springs. Any recommendations?

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'96?

A while back, I went through the process of a valvetrain upgrade for my genV big block. It was a real bear figuring out what springs would work with my desired cam, but not interfere with the stock valve guides and seal. If you are still running a stock cam, it should be a simple ordeal.

I curious though. Do you have rotators on just the exhaust valves or all the valves. If you have rotators, do you plan to eliminate them?

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'96?

A while back, I went through the process of a valvetrain upgrade for my genV big block. It was a real bear figuring out what springs would work with my desired cam, but not interfere with the stock valve guides and seal. If you are still running a stock cam, it should be a simple ordeal.

I curious though. Do you have rotators on just the exhaust valves or all the valves. If you have rotators, do you plan to eliminate them?

Sorry I don’t know what “rotators” are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'96?

Sorry I don’t know what “rotators” are?

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They sit at the base of the spring and are basically a bearing that is supposed to let the valve rotate. You can remove them for better valvetrain stability and replace them with 'rotator eliminators' from Comp.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I've got some measurements too that are useful for picking a cam and it's spring requirements that work with the stock head, but I don't know if it will do you any good. It might have changed in '96 when the casting changed.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
All 16 of mine had rotators. I eliminated the left bank, been lazy and not dealt with the right bank. It's a pain with the heavier aftermarket springs. My rates are on a card back home, they came from Schneider. The rotator eliminators are something I snagged from my local machine shop.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All 16 of mine had rotators. I eliminated the left bank, been lazy and not dealt with the right bank. It's a pain with the heavier aftermarket springs. My rates are on a card back home, they came from Schneider. The rotator eliminators are something I snagged from my local machine shop.

Can you send me the spring details or a link to order them when you can?