valve adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking to know your favorit way to adjust the valves after replacing the heads.... since there seams to be a bunch of ways..

Ready
And
Go.........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I seen this the other day... looks like a no brainer way....lol..
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I now massively prefer poly locks having set a set up. They make finding zero lash effortless. Set 8 at #1 TDC and the rest at #6 TDC. Plenty of different opinions on preload out there, stock is 1 full turn and I usually set no less than 5/8 of a turn. My LT1 Camaro has a full turn, stock internals and manifolds, 2.5" y pipe, 3" after to a bullet and axle dump, cone filter intake and it made 292whp/329wtq on a Dynojet so that made me a believer.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I now massively prefer poly locks having set a set up. They make finding zero lash effortless. Set 8 at #1 TDC and the rest at #6 TDC. Plenty of different opinions on preload out there, stock is 1 full turn and I usually set no less than 5/8 of a turn. My LT1 Camaro has a full turn, stock internals and manifolds, 2.5" y pipe, 3" after to a bullet and axle dump, cone filter intake and it made 292whp/329wtq on a Dynojet so that made me a believer.

Polylocks are the only way to go. I had issues with the stock style locknuts backing loose a couple times, since then I've run the polylocks and never regretted it.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Looking to know your favorit way to adjust the valves after replacing the heads.... since there seams to be a bunch of ways..

Ready
And
Go.........

EO/IC. Follow all the way through the firing order, especially with aftermarket camshaft. Preload after zero lash will be to your taste.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Curious on all the ways as well. I did the twist method and then a 1/2 turn (advised by a local mechanic) and they were quite for a few months and now they clack a little bit when its cold on startup. Another mechanic told me this gets them close, then he starts the engine with the cover off and backs them off until they tick, then very slowly turns them 1 turn and says they are always quiet and smooth this way.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Curious on all the ways as well. I did the twist method and then a 1/2 turn (advised by a local mechanic) and they were quite for a few months and now they clack a little bit when its cold on startup. Another mechanic told me this gets them close, then he starts the engine with the cover off and backs them off until they tick, then very slowly turns them 1 turn and says they are always quiet and smooth this way.

The hydraulic flat tappets in my old school 350 are at 3/4 turn.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Could someone provide a link to the polylocks? This has caught my curiosity.