Value of our trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I keep seeing posts about how our trucks are getting more valuable and sought after/wanted. What makes them more sought after or valuable? Not that I don't believe it but I just want to know what's making them more valuable. What do you all think?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, the value is going up all of the time. Nobody wants a junker, but if the truck is clean, and runs good, then it is worth something. The things that drives the price up is age and condition. At 20 years old, it start getting attention, but at 30 years old, it becomes a classic. Yesterday, at lunch, a guy stopped me as I was getting into my truck, He wanted to know about my paint job, what year my truck is, and does it have a 350 in it. When I told him, its a 97, yes it has a 350, and the paint job was done in 2013, he said wow, I thought you just had it painted. At the end of our conversation, he said man you have a very nice truck. I said , Thank. These trucks are worth what some else is willing to pay for it. The more rear these trucks get, the more they will be worth.

2 Sweet

Oozing Machismo
Reaction score
Ehh, I'm not so sure. Not yet anyway. Yes there are a lot of desirable GMT400's that will fetch a great return, but your run of the mill GMT400 still isn't worth a whole lot, even in good original condition. It will differ in some areas of the country, but generally speaking, they aren't very sought after right now IMO. As time goes on and there are fewer on the road (and even fewer clean examples left), that's when you'll see their popularity really start to rise.

I think our time is coming. Look at the squarebody (73-87) trucks and how their popularity/value has risen lately. A truck that sold for a few thousand just 5 years ago would easily go for double that nowadays. Before I bought my '89 earlier this year, I tried to find a decent square for $2k and it wasn't easy. But I had no trouble finding a good GMT400 for less than that.

Give it another 5-10 years and you'll see the values start to creep up.

JWall

@jwall202
Reaction score
I think it's some of the old theory that guys want to have what they wanted or had in high school.
Guys that were in high school when these were out are now in their late 30 & 40's, and have the money for toys, projects, etc.

The squarebody trucks are hot right now & OBS trucks will follow suit.

These trucks have been cut up, hacked up, beat up, etc over the years & now to find one that hasn't been is getting tough.

I've already seen some clean trucks bringing GOOD money since they are had to find.
I've turned down a couple offers on my red 98 for more than its probably worth (& that some people would call me stupid for turning down).
I don't want to have to try to find another truck that clean.

I agree these trucks are a few years away from an increase in value.

JWall

@jwall202
Reaction score
Does the truck turning into what is defined as a classic(25 years old) automatically raise the value or not really? I think at this time 92 and older would be a classic.

My opinion is no. It still depends on what it is.
For example I don't see a 1992 Cavalier being worth more due to age alone. So these trucks being desired still & the age are driving the value up.

I know a lot of guys that don't have much interest in trucks newer than the OBS body style.
I'm ok with the newer trucks for drivers but I don't have the desire to fix up anything newer than an OBS.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
To me they are, simply because I'm really not a fan of modern trucks. If it's got more than one camshaft or a mile long timing chain I don't want it. But I'd pay more for one if it's mostly original and hasn't been "teenaged" if you know what I mean. It's getting harder and harder to find these and other older trucks that haven't been altered.

biggbiker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in N. IN and SW lower MI about 95% are rusted out bad. You have to search hard and long to find one that is worthy to dump money into. I am talking softball to football size rust holes. Few to be had. Most all of these will be crushed in the next 2-8 years. Clean examples bring 3-10K$ but are few and far between.