Used, Reman, Crate, or LS???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will throughly cleaning "sticky" hydraulic lifters loosen them up, or will the spring be worn out?
I have cleaned them. This involves disassembly, not dumping some magic chemical into the oil.

What kind of socket do I need to remove these?? Been trying to figure this one out for a while
Robertson #3 bit, in your favorite brand of hex-bit socket. The plugs have a 3/16 female square wrenching surface, but typical 3/16 square pipe-plug sockets are either too tapered and with rounded-off corners on the male square (Snap-On) or just plain too weak (Mac). You'll make a mess of the plug or break the socket. Which is exactly why no-one removes those plugs.

My Mac man helped me, nearly twenty years ago; the #3 Robertson bits are 3/16, or close enough, HARD and NOT TAPERED and with adequate corners. They fit the plugs great. Of course, you'd want a bit-socket to hold the Robertson hex shank. My Mac socket, and USA Craftsman sockets are decades old, and long discontinued. But there's plenty of other choices.

Photo 1. Original plugs removed, brass hex-head plugs ready for installation. Oil gallery brush ready to clean oil passage. Smaller brushes needed to clean transverse passages to main bearings.
You must be registered for see images attach

I cut the Mac bit shorter by removing the end of the hex shank. Optional--you wouldn't have to, and other brands of Robertson bits may not be made the same.

Last edited:

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
‘97 Single & Short…
5.7 w an ole Powerdyne Supercharger…
Main Bearing issues…don’t want to spend stupid money but I ain’t parting her out either…so which route would give me the best bang for my buck???
Used…
I grew up in the used auto parts life, so that route will always be a consideration for me…but that would be my least or last choice…
Reman/Rebuilt…
Do I take it to a machine shop (that I trust) and get it rebuilt…if so do I have to be concerned with how much it needs to be bored out? It just seems odd to me to have an engine at a machine shop getting rebuilt and not make some changes or upgrading things a lil while it’s there…lol
Atleast a cam change, or something! But I know these Vortec’s are pretty limited on the changes you can make or you gotta make other changes/upgrades to go along with the changes made at the machine shop…
Crate…
Do I just go with a GM crate motor, if I can find one in stock…or get one from Summit or Jegs, do I go factory or performance package..?
LS…
Do I go the LS route and all that goes along with that???

I’m just looking for some of y'alls thoughts and opinions, I’m not trying to outrun everyone that pulls up beside me, or take it to the track…but I do like to go fast every once in awhile and I like an engine to sound like it will go fast…lol
Go 383 and slap that charger back on