Upper Control Arm Bolt Orientation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen several suggestions regarding the upper control arm bolt orientation.

Does it matter? With a 140ftlb torque spec, ease of access to the nut seems the most important.

The bolt orientations I've run across:
1 - Both bolt heads must be inboard of the control arm bracket (from Chilton service manual)
2 - Bolt heads should be toward the front of the vehicle (in case the nuts come off)
3 - However the alignment technician wants them (whatever orientation that is)
4 - Whatever is in the truck currently

What is in my truck:
Driver side
Front bolt head outboard of the control arm
Rear bolt head outboard of the control arm

Passenger side
Front bolt head inboard of the control arm
Rear bolt head outboard of the control arm

What are you thoughts?
thx

My driver side:
View media item 31914
My passenger side:
View media item 31915
Service manual install note:
View media item 31916

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter - the cams will still turn in the same manner either orientation. A lot of alignment guys will put the nut where it's easier to get some good torque on them since the rear-most ones are a royal PITA to get to. In my opinion, the ability to get the proper torque on the fastener is the most important part. I've been doing alignments on these for nearly 20 years and have never had an issue with bolt orientations.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen several suggestions regarding the upper control arm bolt orientation.

Does it matter?
Politically-Correct Bullshit Answer:
A "bolt" can be any orientation it wants. If it wants to be male, it's male. If it wants to put on a dress and pretend to be a Nut...it's a Nut. S/He can even be reverse thread and screw the "wrong way". And Society has to accept "Bolts" wearing dresses and being Nuts in public, because it's all a part of The Great Big All-Inclusive World of Diversity. HOWEVER, almost all Bolts wearing dresses point to the Left. WAY LEFT.

Real Answer:
You have the service manual illustration of how the manufacturer specifies the bolts going in from the center, with the nuts on the outside, on a 2WD application. That may be a "Chilton" manual--and they're generally toilet-paper--but that illustration is done exactly in the style of the ones in the GM service manual. I suspect it's a cut-and-paste of the "Real" service manual illustration.

Why is there any question?

Is this NOT a 2WD application? Do you have a REAL GM service manual that shows something different?

Last edited:

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not have a REAL GM service manual unfortunately. All I have is Chilton.

Thx guys.