Upholstery Stapler For Door Panel Seal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got new door panel seals (the ones that wipe the inside of the window) for my stepside, but I don't have a stapler to put the new ones on. The staples are thick upholstery staples, but all the staple guns I'm finding on Amazon don't have an anvil to curl them. Anybody have a line on inexpensive staplers? Or should I consider a different method of attachment? Or just pay a local upholstery shop?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
In all the years I've been doing interiors, I've never found a staple gun that'll install those original style heavy wire staples.
Riveting the new ones is the only way I found that lasts.
Paint the heads black & they're almost invisible.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have always riveted them also.
Do not use a countersunk head rivet, it can spilt the plastic as it tightens. You may have to grind a little if the excess off the back side for clearance depending on the application. Grind just the excess bulged out body of the rivet, not the shank. I did a 69 Camaro a month ago and had to grind a little off with the belt tool after installation.
I will be doing my 89 this weekend so I can't say yet if grinding is needed.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have always riveted them also.
Do not use a countersunk head rivet, it can spilt the plastic as it tightens. You may have to grind a little if the excess off the back side for clearance depending on the application. Grind just the excess bulged out body of the rivet, not the shank. I did a 69 Camaro a month ago and had to grind a little off with the belt tool after installation.
I will be doing my 89 this weekend so I can't say yet if grinding is needed.

Good stuff! Door panels can sure throw some unexpected curves every now & then. Some are surprised when I tell them that I will probably spend more time on their door panels than their seats. Doing things that they'll never see, but if I didn't, they sure would.

I was just starting my first coffee about the time I posted. Didn't even occur that I should offer some info. Duuuh.

When riveting, get the seal taped into place & mark the center hole & the spots at the ends to be drilled. The end ones about a 1/2" back from the end of the seal.
Evenly divide the spaces in between with marks. Depending on those 1/2 distances, you may end up doing 2 or three for a total of either 7 or 9 rivets. Maybe 11.
It's not how many you use. It's about the spacing. Too far apart & the seals could start to warp into wierd shapes after a bit of use. Same with the even spacing. Randomly installed rivets can create probs, too.
I've heard some guys say to start from one end & work to the other.
If that's what they find works for them.
I prefer to start from the center & work out, alternating from one side to the other, drilling each hole as I go. Don't pre-drill them all at once.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got new door panel seals (the ones that wipe the inside of the window) for my stepside, but I don't have a stapler to put the new ones on. The staples are thick upholstery staples, but all the staple guns I'm finding on Amazon don't have an anvil to curl them. Anybody have a line on inexpensive staplers? Or should I consider a different method of attachment? Or just pay a local upholstery shop?
Would you please tell me where you bought the seals ? I'm going to need the outside and inside. Thanks.

29tx

Reaction score
Would you please tell me where you bought the seals ? I'm going to need the outside and inside. Thanks.

I'd like to know as well. Does any one know if the colored piece of trim that these seals attach to is reproduced? My drivers side door panel is missing the seal and the little piece of trim that it attaches to and I haven't been able to find a replacement. I have the red interior in my 97 and that seems to be the only color I never see at the junk yards

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll check the part number of the kit when I get home and post it.

sewlow, thanks for the instructions. I would have pre-drilled all the holes.

Another random question, has anybody tried plasti-dipping the armrests? I'm not willing to pay $60 each for armrests, and I was wondering if plasti-dip would be a suitable replacement for the factory plastic that's warped and cracked. Alternatively, I'm tempted to try building armrests out of 18 gauge wrapped in vinyl.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So just use pop revets then. Sounds easy enough. Asf drilling and lay out, that wont be an issue for me. I look at my seals all the time, and mine do show some age, but are still ok for now, but I know the day is coming for replacement.