Upgrading Audio in the 95 Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ace37

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swapped mine out with 6.5 cerwin-Vega components in the doors and 4x10 cerwin-Vega 2ways in the back.
When replacing your speakers, did you buy the adapter for the speaker wires or just cut and splice?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the picture it looks like the front doors are 5.25 but I’m sure 6.5 would fit if they aren’t.
Anytime I’ve done a system in a suburban I’ve just deleted the rear 4x10s. There’s only a handful of companies that still make that size and they usually aren’t as “nice” as what’s available for the fronts. Besides you probably won’t hear them all the way back there lol. Not to mention the sundowns will probably over power them if they don’t blow them out first. :p

Ace37

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the picture it looks like the front doors are 5.25 but I’m sure 6.5 would fit if they aren’t.
Anytime I’ve done a system in a suburban I’ve just deleted the rear 4x10s. There’s only a handful of companies that still make that size and they usually aren’t as “nice” as what’s available for the fronts. Besides you probably won’t hear them all the way back there lol. Not to mention the sundowns will probably over power them if they don’t blow them out first. :p
Based on what df2x4 was saying I was actually thinking of just leaving the rear doors alone and only upgrading the front and rear roof, but you do bring up a good point about the Sundowns. These really have some ass to em, each speaker weighs about 40lbs and they hit HARD.

Ace37

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you use the speaker harness adapters or just cut and splice?

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you use the speaker harness adapters or just cut and splice?
I’ve done all kinds of things over the years lol. Plenty of stuff I’m not proud of even.
Spades or adapters are usually fine, most new speakers will come with a pigtail.
What I like to do on my own stuff or something someone will actually pay decent money for an install is run new wires from the amp into the doors and solder directly to the speaker terminals , but if you’re just running speakers off of the head unit than using the factory speaker wires are plenty fine.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being as your front speakers are technically aftermarket I would almost bet the factory plug isn’t there anymore.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When replacing your speakers, did you buy the adapter for the speaker wires or just cut and splice?
I used adapters, I don’t like cutting factory harnesses unless is absolutely needed. The CV are pretty impressive running off of a factory radio. Lacking a little mid bass but that’s because of the radio not having many options but several people have listened to it and are blow away with how it sounds. The arc audio subs sound great.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remove the front speaker and measure the hole in the door panel. I would mount the new speaker directly to the door panel in your case since the factory grill is missing and it would look odd mounted in the door and having a large hole.
As for the rear door panel no need to remove the whole panel just pop off the speaker grill and install new speaker.