Upgrade steering parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garage Hack

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got one at the local GM stealership. They had it in stock. About $4. Yes, that bolt gives much more confidence--about a quarter-inch longer; seems perfect (as it should, since it's the proper bolt.)

You must be registered for see images attach

Interesting. The 26015779 shaft I bought did not have a shroud.

Where did you get yours?

I misspoke, I was referring to the bottom joint, and the original arm. This is what I got.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This thread is confusing lol.

for those of us with later models, for example 99 Tahoe/burb-/1500, what part is required to replace the rag joint? My steering play is terrible like an old green screen movie where the guy is not watching the road and turning the wheel back and forth

It sounds like we’re relegated to either living with it, finding a GM part somewhere or replacing the rag joint.

The Dorman 425-185 is supposed to be a replacement but wouldn’t fit on my 98’s gearbox shaft without surgery and was returned. Pretty typical of the sh*t that they sell. There are a fair number of no-name companies that sell them as well for seventy bucks or so but it’s a dice roll. The worn out GM part would probably work better.

stratton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like we’re relegated to either living with it, finding a GM part somewhere or replacing the rag joint.

The Dorman 425-185 is supposed to be a replacement but wouldn’t fit on my 98’s gearbox shaft without surgery and was returned. Pretty typical of the sh*t that they sell. There are a fair number of no-name companies that sell them as well for seventy bucks or so but it’s a dice roll. The worn out GM part would probably work better.

for 95-98 https://www.cunninghammachine.com/product/1995-2000-chevrolet-truck-steering-shaft-upgrade/

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

moondog1

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been reading as much as I can on here about various topics. I ordered an XJ shaft for my 95 k2500 burb. Then I started reading here on this most recent steering upgrade thread showing stating it won't work safely in my 95. I'm confident once I start taking it apart I will be able to clear up my confusion but I was hoping someone could look at these pics and tell me if the XJ shaft will work safely in my burb.

I believe my burb is a cheyenne trim which according to wikipedia was stopped in 94, but it's definitely a 95. It does have an airbag, but no tilt wheel.
Here's my pictures. Thanks!

EDIT*** I cancelled my XJ shaft order and just ordered the expensive Cunningham Machine Lower half shaft.

Last edited:

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone try this one yet?

I looked at that really hard and ended up with the flaming river joint replacement. Easy install with some grinding. 1996 k2500, joint definitely now enhances the loosness of my steering box with 269k lol... no evidence if it was ever replaced.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So oem Borg's, or Cunningham? What's a bolt on shaft for a 99 Tahoe I seen a video on 1road and he had problems with installation so I'm confused on which would be best