Upgrade Front Brake Calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting part numbers :cheers:

I looked up the Centric 14166021 on RockAuto.

You obviously measured the piston diameter as >3.25" (perhaps 83mm) and showed us the picture. Thank you.

Similarly, another GMT400 member had stated earlier this year that the DRW caliper piston diameter is ~3.28 IIRC, i.e., the same thing as your picture shows.

RockAuto's database for the Centric 14166021 shows a larger piston diameter, which suggests their database is somehow incorrect. I've posted it, below.

Piston Diameter (IN)3.386
Piston Diameter (mm)86.000

A cursory review on RockAuto of other mfgr's calipers for the DRW GMT400 regularly turns up the "3.386" / 86mm" numbers as well. Earlier this year I actually quoted these stats in a couple of other posts on GMT400.

Your pictures don't lie. I wonder why the disparity with the mfgrs' stats... not just one mfgr, but multiple.

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I'm just going to link this thread from some years back...Take from it what you will.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on WHERE you're measuring the piston.

The piston is smaller above the dust-seal boot, to allow room for the dust seal when the piston is pushed into the caliper bore.

Below the dust seal groove, you'd have the full piston diameter of 86mm.
You must be registered for see images attach