Update on the obs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I’ve posted on here about my truck having a couple of major issues that I’ve been dealing with for almost a year and it’s still hasn’t passed smog yet. I first dealt with the truck’s lights such as the turn signals, brake lights and emergency light because they were not working at all and I’d rather not cause an accident so I dealt with that first. I tried getting the truck smog the first time and it failed because the battery died on the truck and it needs at least 50 miles driven for the truck’s memory to be in working order. The following week we took it again to another shop because the first one we went to was closed for the day and we had about 60 or so miles driven just in case and it failed again! Not because of the battery but because the truck was missing a catalytic converter which I had no idea of. I immediately thought someone must’ve stolen it and no apparently my uncle who gave me this truck had a friend who owned it first and tried to straight pipe the truck so the pipes were welded but he only got to one car before not bothering with it again. So three months pass by and I still haven’t figured out the issue with the truck’s battery. My uncle called me to let me know he knows a guy who will let me pass smog, basically he was going to give me some fake smog papers which I was kind of nervous about. I drove there anyways. Apparently the dude wasn’t in town for the time being and I really needed this truck because next week I start my third semester of college and I was going to leave my Tacoma to my mom so she can drive to work. So we decided to just order a new cat regardless which one it is because the truck is also missing it’s engine sticker so the mechanics couldn’t tell which cat to get so we’re taking a gamble. It should arrive on Saturday so Friday night I’m leaving to stay at my uncle’s place and get that cat dealt with, smog it, and have it registered first thing Monday morning. For an indestructible truck, it’s being a real pain to the point I almost posted it on OfferUp for sale. Hopefully on Saturday I have time to change the spark plugs because from what I was told, they were never changed. It’ll probably help with better acceleration since I took the truck for a 0-60 test and got 10.3 seconds, so I can probably beat older trucks and maybe a Miata :D

Later on I’ll post a hypothetical question about an engine swap for this truck but it’s not a sure thing.