Upcoming 6.0 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a friend that has a 2001 Silverado HD that the transmission went out on at 160k. It has been sitting for about three years. Long story short, I can score the engine, trans, etc. really reasonable.

I have always wanted to do an LS swap into a 95-99 two door tahoe. My plan is to eventually buy a high mileage clean one for a base and go from there. I came across here reading aboutwhat was needed, found a lot of good info, but still have a couple questions.

I know that I need the engine, accessories, and the harness from the 01. The other questions I have are around the trans and transfer case. I am wondering if it is worth getting those as well. I figure I will rebuild a trans either way, just don't know if I would be better off with the 4l80 from the 2500hd or rebuilding the stock 4l60 and just having it beefed up. Same question with the transfer case. The two door will be a nice weather vehicle that does occasional towing of a 4000 lb boat.

TIA to anyone that can offer some help!

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From everything I have read and heard the 4L80 is the better way to go. Yes the 4L60 can be built to hold lots of power, but the 4L80 can be built to hold even more. I would use everything from the donor vehicle as possible.

99bluetahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. If you can get the 4L80e from the donor vehicle, it would be a plus. Also at least on my 4wd 2dr tahoe, the crossmember is already setup for the 4L80e. Just need to take a bracket off and the mounting location is already pretty much setup for the 80e.