Unknown Paint code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys
My 1989 GMC Sierra is a dark blue color with metallic flakes. The option sticker in my glove box is so worn out I can’t tell what is written on there anymore. does anyone know the paint code for that color? I’m starting to make the plan to restore the truck and trying to make a list of the things I need to do and parts I have to start ordering.
The paint is original and it was repainted by the GMC dealer when the paint recall happened in 1995ish. They actually had a body shop and painted it in house. But it was the original paint color it was repainted
Thank you

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I spent the $5 at compnine.com and ran the VINs 4 of my vehicles, 3 of the reports can be seen in my "Hello from Louisville!" thread.
Good luck.
-and post some pics!

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
View media item 32000

Don’t mind the lame headlights and LEDs. They are off and original quads and turn signals are going back on. The big off road tires are gone and I’m taking off the body lift as I’m lowering it to factory height. That’s the original color.
There is no GMC dealer anywhere near me unfortunately.

Last edited:

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I'm sure any Chevrolet dealer would tell you over the phone. Or even though email.
Nice looking truck. Always liked the GMC grilles.

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
...Don’t mind the lame headlights and LEDs. They are off and original quads and turn signals are going back on. The big off road tires are gone and I’m taking off the body lift as I’m lowering it to factory height. That’s the original color...
Very nice, I applaud your efforts taking it back to stock. That blue looks to be the same blue as the stripe on my '89..
Old pic but you get the idea..

HillcrestFarm

Reaction score
Enter your VIN on this site and it will give you your order codes.

This site decoded my vin and gave me all the original factory codes too. For example, mine shows this for my blue color.

39U EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY,DK ADRIATIC BLUE METEXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY,INDIGO MET

http://www.free-vin-decoder.com/vin/1gnek18k5rj407273

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hillcrest - the color offerings change quite a bit from year to year. His looks darker than that, to me, anyway.

Derek - do you have the codes for your '89?

Richard