Unhooking TBI Engine Wiring Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
Ok. Whats the trick to unhook the tbi engine wiring harness from the firewall on 88 C1500? I see nothing but bunch of clips and child proof stuff so it wont get unplugged. Is just held in by 2 little screws or does it unplug?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't pulled one out for a year or two, but if i remmember correctly the whole thing comes out as one piece. Where the harness meets the firewall, that whole assy. should unscrew and i think you'll be able to remove it then!

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
I haven't pulled one out for a year or two, but if i remmember correctly the whole thing comes out as one piece. Where the harness meets the firewall, that whole assy. should unscrew and i think you'll be able to remove it then!

Ok , I'll take the screws out see if that works.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
Here's a picture of what it looks like on my 90 C2500.

You must be registered for see images attach

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The harness on the driver's side unplug's via undoing the bolt in the middle of the plug, the harness on the passenger side doesn't unplug, you have to remove the 2 screws that hold it to the firewall, and then unplug the main connector's from the computer and pass them out through the firewall.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The harness on the driver's side unplug's via undoing the bolt in the middle of the plug, the harness on the passenger side doesn't unplug, you have to remove the 2 screws that hold it to the firewall, and then unplug the main connector's from the computer and pass them out through the firewall.

:word: Comes apart exactly how Draggin95 said.

To get at the computer you will have to remove the inside of the glove box and the computer is in there.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
I'm just removing an engine and just wanted info unhooking the engine harness from the firewall.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm just removing an engine and just wanted info unhooking the engine harness from the firewall.

There shouldnt be a need to pull the harness from the firewall to just remove the engine, unless you want the harness with it, in which case you will also have to remove it from the passenger side too.

But like Draggin said to remove it from the drivers side. You remove the bolt in the middle of the plug, it will probably take a little pulling and prying to get it off. The larger one on the left (when looking at it) should be for the engine, others are for headlights, trans and taillights.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
Maybe It be easier to unhook it from the engine first then go back and pull the harness. Then I would have more room to work with without the engine being there.