Underhood storage box useful or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Somehow, I didn't get a second battery or the storage box. My dad's old 96 has the box, and he's going to sell the truck cheap after I'm done driving it around while I work on my truck. I'm thinking of taking the storage box, and putting it in my truck, but I'm not sure I'd use it. I suppose I could keep a rag there. My dad has always kept a role of toilet paper in there for checking oil.... picked it up out of the yard when the house got teepeed years ago when my brother was still in High School!

So do you find it useful, or is it just a novelty?

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I keep a couple quart bottles of oil, a belt, and an oil rag in there; personally I think they help fill out the appearance under the hood too.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I keep a spare belt, ans a set of jumper cables I made from #2 welding lead in mine.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They’re good for holding tools and stuff if you’re working on something. Better than using the little raised areas on top of the fan shroud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the trucks I had with them, kept a quart of oil, quart of trans fluid, couple rags, 4-bit reversible screwdriver, pliers, crescent wrench. Basic emergency stuff ya know. :)

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ok, next question.... how does it come out? I see two molded in clips on the left, but I don't know what's holding it on the right. I didn't have a flashlight handy to look between the box and fender.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Iirc there's a bolt going sideways into a clipnut in the fender. May be more than one.

Richard

Bret

Reaction score
Ok, next question.... how does it come out? I see two molded in clips on the left, but I don't know what's holding it on the right. I didn't have a flashlight handy to look between the box and fender.
If I remember correctly, the bolt for the bottom is in the fender well, so you'll have to reach around your wheel to get it.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
13 mm nut accessed through fender well above tire. 10 mm bolt accessed from inside the box that goes to u clip on inner fender. Carefully use a flat acrewdriver to bend back the plastic clips slightly, lift up slowly. Also, grab the u clip from the side bolt area. Easy peasy.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a quart of oil and a funnel in mine. Might throw some other things in there.. fuses.. etc...

I threw my old belt into the pocket of my rear door.