Under Molding rust and rocker panel removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrBru

Reaction score
I would like to fix this, but as a total newbie, I do not know what is the best approach:

You must be registered for see images attach

There was very bad rust under driver's door molding. I took a heat gun and I have gently removed the rubber molding, but more than heating the glue it felt off with a big layer of paint. Good thing is, that door metal sheet is just rusted on the surface and it did not rotten completely.

Some of that rust is also coming under the rocker panel. I would try to remove these too, wire brush it and clean all rust and then I would apply some car body filler putty, sanding and paint it back with used L382E/Silver gray.

1. What filler should I use?
2. Is it possible to remove the rocker panel without destruction?
3. What glue to put back molding and rocker?
4. Painting back: primer + paint + clear coat?

I am glad for any suggestions.

MrBru

Reaction score
Because nobody has answered, I will put here some experienced I have gained (did not do this job previously, but there is nothing difficult or tricky, however you may be in the same situation as me and do not know how to begin :D ).

1. Panel removal: heat gun and pulling small wire behind the panel. Factory glue will increase volume once heated properly and it is easy to remove. The main problem here was that it was previously fixed and Bondo/body filler did not stick properly and it was rusty under it. Upper part pealed quite badly and it causes more water coming inside + freeze => slow destruction in progress.

2. I have wire-brushed old Bondo and all rust, cleaned with acetone and put new body filler. It will cure fast, sanded down, repeat. It is quite handy to use some power sander, I had 40 grid on axle grinder adapter and then 80 grid by hand for the final touch.

3. Then the etching primer used, I think 3 coats. Cleaned well with aceton before application. I have used masking tape and plastic to cover surrounding and tire.

4. For color, I went to Sherwin-Williams with codes found on the glove box sticker. I have two colors U 9792 and L 382E: https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?comm=382E&rows=50&button=Search
In the shop, they will give you also sampler of the same color (it will have about 15 clove variant), so go and choose closest one.

5. I want to use the old trims back, but cleaning is quite hard. What worked best: heavy-duty paint stripper and Goo gone applied on the whole area by brush, then pealed down with plastic chisel. You will probably need to repeat it 2-3x and then use rubber wheel: https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/UPT...d+Stripe+Remover+Disc&keywordInput=stripe+off

It will clean the glue very well.

Problem: I have used some glue remover to remove painter tape glue residues and it drips on three days old paint job and removed paint under drops => wet sanding 400 grid down and repaint :p Next time just isopropyl alcohol.

To be continued...