under hood temperature management

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What does the front of your radiator look like?
Radiator is relatively clean, otherwise it is busy in front. Not overheating, but it is very warm under the hood. Driving in traffic today in the heat, intake air temperatures reached 170*F

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking this was going to be a problem on my squarebody too when I swap in the L29/4L80. I was planning on modifying the stock passenger fender to use the GMT-400 style intake and pull air in from in front of the radiator through the fender. It mostly looks like it will involve closing up existing vent holes in the fender, rather than opening anything up. I know it won't help with under hood temps, but it would help with IAT... and that's the more important thing in my mind.

Al_Bundy

Reaction score
Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I've been thinking on this same issue for the last few years. I've looked at those add on louvers. Aircraft NACA ducts. Even though if grafting in some Buick GN fender, or GNX fender outlets. Saves cutting the hood. Also 70's Trans Am has a fender outlet. Just another idea, that would not involve a lot of hood rework or structural compromises.
I thought the back of the wheel well area outlet. And out through the fender at a point about half the door height.
I was thinking " I'll just make a path of least resistance. The air down the side would have lower pressure therefore the higher pressure under hood air would drawn to the easy exit. Just a thought.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If you could find the 70s Firebird T/A or Formula, or Camaro Z28, front fenders with the vents, IIRC they are about the right curvature. And having the fender would give you the mounting surface too.