under hood temperature management

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Make sure all the air that gets in from the grille HAS to go through the radiator to get out. Also make sure all the air that the fan pulls has to go through the radiator first. Above 30 mph you don't need a fan if the air flow management is sorted.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure all the air that gets in from the grille HAS to go through the radiator to get out. Also make sure all the air that the fan pulls has to go through the radiator first. Above 30 mph you don't need a fan if the air flow management is sorted.
Highly disagree, if the truck is heavily loaded it will need a fan to stay cool regardless the speed and a mechanical clutch fan works much better than an electric. I have the factory air dam, all the sealing pieces in place and my clutch fan still has to run at times even at 80+ mph to cool the engine. When the clutch engages the coolant temp drops immediately. The Tahoe is the same, clutch fan often has to cool the old 8.1. When it is 110 in the shade, 118-120 over the road surface it gives the cooling system a workout.

I was taking my mom to her cousins funeral through some west Texas panhandle back roads a couple of weeks ago and driving her 2019 Titan. The clutch fan engaged numerous times running 75+ mph down the road while climbing some longer grades to keep it cool as well. It has 11,000 miles on it and the cooling stack is clean. The radiator and grille opening on that truck is massive compared to the GMT400 trucks too. Titan has a 28.62 x 26.18 x 1.65 core and still needs a fan pulling air at 75 mph.

I actually first discovered the highway overheating issue with a weak fan clutch on a 2003 4.7L powered Dakota. Kept running hot on the highway at 70+ mph. Actually thought it had popped a head gasket. Turned out it was just a weak fan clutch allowing the fan to freewheel all the time rather than engage as needed. Replaced the fan clutch and it never ran hot again.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Above 30 mph you don't need a fan if the air flow management is sorted.

I used to think so, and it's true in most instances, but I popped the breaker on my fan in my 1500 (suspect worn fan motor drawing too much current) and even up to 40 the motor was struggling to return to thermostat temp after sitting at a red light. That and when it's hot and I'm pushing wind westbound through the lovely state of KS, I can hear the fan come and go which tells me it's cooling the truck down even at highway speed.

Just out of curiosity why are underhood temps such an issue for you as compared to so many others?

I've got to ask, what makes you think you don't? Me personally, on the dually, it's supercharged and pulls HEAVY. It also has the largest factory radiator you can get. An aftermarket upgrade would be negligible for me, so I know the easiest way to shed heat from everything is to get more hot air out from behind the radiator. Even if you aren't running hot yourself, you may find the A/C runs cooler with some under hood heat mitigation. It's really only an issue 2-3 months out of the year. It's been hot this year, typical summer highs are in the mid-high 80s not low-mid 90s, plus we have thin air that doesn't cool worth a crap.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to think so, and it's true in most instances, but I popped the breaker on my fan in my 1500 (suspect worn fan motor drawing too much current) and even up to 40 the motor was struggling to return to thermostat temp after sitting at a red light.

I've got to ask, what makes you think you don't? Me personally, on the dually, it's supercharged and pulls HEAVY. It also has the largest factory radiator you can get. An aftermarket upgrade would be negligible for me, so I know the easiest way to shed heat from everything is to get more hot air out from behind the radiator. Even if you aren't running hot yourself, you may find the A/C runs cooler with some under hood heat mitigation. It's really only an issue 2-3 months out of the year. It's been hot this year, typical summer highs are in the mid-high 80s not low-mid 90s, plus we have thin air that doesn't cool worth a crap.

I don’t know that I don’t. I did actually have a functional fender vent setup planned but I’m not gonna lie it was mostly for the look/cool factor.
I just don’t remember seeing such a discussion pop up is all

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t know that I don’t. I did actually have a functional vent setup planned but I’m not gonna lie it was mostly for the look/cool factor.
I just don’t remember seeing such a discussion pop up is all

I think to this point it's only been about cowl hood and cooling. It was nice to see expectations there properly managed.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to think so, and it's true in most instances, but I popped the breaker on my fan in my 1500 (suspect worn fan motor drawing too much current) and even up to 40 the motor was struggling to return to thermostat temp after sitting at a red light. That and when it's hot and I'm pushing wind westbound through the lovely state of KS, I can hear the fan come and go which tells me it's cooling the truck down even at highway speed.

Consider yourself lucky not to have 115-120F air trying to cool your truck. That is what the ambient sensor right behind the grilled has been reading for weeks. Its been close to 110F in the shade every day here. Its only supposed to get to 104 today.

My van is getting fender vents. Very hard to get the hot air out of the engine compartment in a van.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky not to have 115-120F air trying to cool your truck. That is what the ambient sensor right behind the grilled has been reading for weeks. Its been close to 110F in the shade every day here. Its only supposed to get to 104 today.

My van is getting fender vents. Very hard to get the hot air out of the engine compartment in a van.
Post up which vents you are thinking. Looking at the ones from the picture above, it might actually fit the lines of the gmt400. I am in similar or worse operating conditions temperature wise.