U joint replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Years ago, before I found out about the glued u-joints, I broke a 6" vice right in the middle of slide trying to get one out without heat.
Broke right at the thickest part. A 6" cast vice. Yea, it was older than dirt, but even still.
The driveshaft was undamaged & the U-joint was STILL in there. Hadn't budged.
Pretty good explosion when it let go. I jumped. Buddy ducked. Nobody hurt.
There was two of us involved. Just goes to show that smart-ass kids really don't know everything, even when there's two know-it-alls combining their 'immense' brain power.
"Tighter. Tighter. Put a pipe on that vice's handle. Now crank it TIGHTER! Need a BIGGER hammer! C'mon, hit it harder. It's just a U-joint. We will not be defeated!"
Never had that happen, but a 3/4 ton square body Burb 's lower ball joint exploding into 4 pieces, inside of the OTC press' cans, sounds like a large caliber handgun going off close to your head.... Didn't break the tool though.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the front of a Plymouth Satellite jacked up, can’t remember what I was doing and I didn’t know it immediately, but a torsion bar snapped. I actually thought someone fired a gun near my head! It was only when I put car on ground and it was collapsed on one side.