U Joint Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody have a good trick to replacing rear ujoints? I don't have access to a press. Trying to avoid damaging the yoke.. thanks.

Sent from my LG-H820PR using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do them in the vice at work all the time...not using the vice part as a vise though... kinda hard to explain. you can even use a ball joint press "C" if you have access to one of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can get a 6 inch c clamp and use that..BONUS:: also works with calipers... I have used slightly larger socket and light taps with hammer on mine.. your hammering may very.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x2 on the ball joint "C" press, that's what I used. They can be "borrowed" from most auto parts houses that provide that service. One extra thought, I removed the plastic locking ring remnants from the yoke ears, if I had it to do over I would leave them in I think to keep moisture out of the internal grooves in the ears.

RedLeader289

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just used a C-clamp, just take your time and it works.

pro-tip= put the U-Joints in the freezer the night before. Makes them a LITTLE easier to put in.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Beat them out of there with a vise and a hammer. Don't hit the u-joints, just hit the yoke. After it's back in the truck give it a few taps with the hammer to loosen it back up. Did it for both the front and rear drive shafts, no press at all. No vibrations and a perfect drive in 2WD and 4WD.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I like the hammer, brass punch, and socket method. You can angle the punch to hit certain tight area's on the u-joint cap and work your way around it and they come right out. On ones that are super tight and I feel I might bend the shaft getting them out, I take a torch and cut the center out and the heat alone usually lets them come right out.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for picking up on an old thread, but I hate starting a new one when there’s already one going.

Anyhoo... 95 Tahoe 2-door has a busted u-joint at the spline end. Apparently they are held in with some plastic injection method from the factory. After some time on YouTube, I’m convinced I would rather change the whole drive shaft - being the novice mechanic I am (if I can even claim that).

Question: are there any recommendations on an aftermarket driveshaft that’s NOT made that way, but rather with snap rings?

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Sorry for picking up on an old thread, but I hate starting a new one when there’s already one going.

Anyhoo... 95 Tahoe 2-door has a busted u-joint at the spline end. Apparently they are held in with some plastic injection method from the factory. After some time on YouTube, I’m convinced I would rather change the whole drive shaft - being the novice mechanic I am (if I can even claim that).

Question: are there any recommendations on an aftermarket driveshaft that’s NOT made that way, but rather with snap rings?

You can do it.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score

The replacement u joints are held in with clips. It is a waste of money to replace the Driveshaft. heat them up and melt out the plastic and install a replacement joint. It has been done this way for decades