U bolt sizing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I am swapping out the old leaf springs on my 92 ECSB c1500, and was wondering if anyone knew what size u bolts I need to order. The truck has a belltech flip in it. I had to cut mine to get them off and won't be in the shop for a while to measure. Thanks, hopefully someone knows!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am swapping out the old leaf springs on my 92 ECSB c1500, and was wondering if anyone knew what size u bolts I need to order.
IIRC you U-bolts are 9/16" (standard for 88 - 98) but you'll probably have to measure your width and length. I can't remember the width, 3" maybe but don't quote me. Here's a link that may be useful.

sweetk30

c3500-HD
Reaction score
Axle tube DIA + thickness of leaf pack & perch height & top plate + min 1" above top plate for washers and nuts . Best to go a hair longer and cut off extra . Quality u-bolt rod tends to have 3" length of thread per side/leg .

Round bend for around the axle tube dia .

Square bend for down over the leaf spring width .

Round gets longer just a bit as you bend them . Square gets a bit shorter as you bend them .

9/16 tend to be grade 5 rod . 5/8" is grade 8 and more clamping force . Plus 95% of the time fit in the stock u-bolt plates for a good upgrade .

If ever cutting old u-bolts off always stager the cut on 1 old ubolt side to side so you can line them up and measure for new size ..

So if 3" dia axle tube + 3/4" tall off tube perch + 2" thick spring pack + 1/4" plate + 1" nut and washer = 3" round with 7" leg length . And uses a 14" rod length ... but if square bend go next rod length up for the shrink of the square bend .

L&H rod brand is top shelf stuff .

Our truck are 2.5" wide springs for the most part . But always check first .

Hope my info helps .