Tyler's DD/plaything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Got the MPFI spider installed and while test driving it the truck just died like the key was turned off.

After it cooled down it fired right back up like nothing was wrong. After it got warm again it died.

I fried the starter while trying to diagnose the hot death issue. So it's in the garage again.

Sent from my flagged XT1635-01

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Don't think I've updated. Got a new starter wire and charge with from the alternator to the battery. Threw my new coil on just for the hell of it and had no issues after the new coil.

Now it's blowing the ignition A fuse when I roll the key to crank. New ignition switch didn't fix it.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Found the rubbed wire causing my short. Ran a new wire and she's back to normal again.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
ICM plug was giving me fits. Likely the cause of some previous issues that I thought I had rectified a couple months ago but had returned. Wired in a new plug and resolved my random stalling issue. Also did a new cap and rotor which I had not done with the tune up a few months ago.

Finally got new locks for my tool box. Those were probably the easiest thing ever. 5 mins to do both locks. My 250 buck toolbox is now worth 700 again.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'm bummed. I may have hurt the 350 today.

I drove almost 3 hours to go get a utility trailer. Haven't had the truck on a long ride in what seems like years. Probably has been years. But nevertheless it rode out like a dream. 80mph, never skipped a beat, smooth as glass. Got the 6x10 trailer hooked up and hit the road. It was not happy. Felt like I was dragging an anchor. Struggled to hold 65 on flat ground. Uphills? 55. The trailer couldn't be that heavy. I'll get it weighed soon.

Worst part is when I got close to home I made a stop and it had some mean valvetrain noise. Ran fine, likely lifter tick but it was in a few places. I topped off the oil earlier this week and checked it when I got back. Nothing on the stick. I topped up again (about a quart since the dipstick tube was backed out and didn't notice until after I added oil) by the time I got to my buddy's house to drop him off the noise was gone and it was running smooth always. I'm just hoping nothing got messed up. At 275k miles the old girl is tired.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Went out to the garage to fire it up for the first time in a month. Fired right up with no problem. Wife lent her Jeep to our roommate who is having car troubles so she's taking the Buick and I'm back in the truck. At least everything is functioning properly.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Started thinking about this truck a bit lately since I have a lot of free time. I think I'm just gonna run it as is for awhile until I can get more space somewhere and start tearing it down. The 350 is getting weak. I really am starting to doubt it'll make it to 300k. I don't drive it much because it's so tired. And it really needs to be taken apart so I can evaluate just what kind shape its in underneath. It's rusty. Still seems pretty solid though. With my future plans for a diesel in it, it needs to be extremely solid.

I think this build is paused for a bit aside from a couple little things I already have that I can do this summer. It needs a lot of little things right now, and I can't justify doing those little things with the big stuff in the shape that it's in. The headlight housings are fogged over, the tails are foggy too. The windshield is cracked and can't be replaced the to the rust on top of it. Steering box has a fair bit of play, it has a regular miss (probably a ring not sealing) and the converter takes a bit to lock up in 4th. I have an axle that needs built, rust that needs fixed, and the interior needs a bit of attention.

This summer will be slow for it. Probably gonna get the brush guard on, taillights polished and covers on, put the dash back together, and just run it. Probably gonna get the front clip I bought put on just so it's no longer in storage. I've got a lot going on in life at the moment and too much to think about to be doing heavy truck mods.

This is gonna be on the back burner for a year I think. Come back and evaluate then, or if my situation changes. The Buick needs some attention pretty bad as well so I have that to contend with. And the Jeep is also going to be getting some mods for reliability as well. Three at one time is too much.

I'll keep updating this thread as things progress. Just gonna be a slow pace and all minor stuff.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Thursday I blew the subwoofer apart. The 12" JLAudio had a good run. It was beat to hell when I got it and it's taken a fair bit of abuse from me. It got replaced today by an Alpine Type S 12" 4 ohm.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Lights and siren for the Fire Dept! Just some quick pics. I had to finish up and head in to go to bed but I had to snap a couple shots of the stuff working for the build thread.

Tyler/T-Unit
You must be registered for see images attach

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Aaaaaand I found a hole in my roof. This changes some things...... Now I'm looking for a donor truck of some sort.

Tyler/T-Unit