Turning the obs into a daily....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also want to second this based on very recent personal experience. From what I've seen around this forum the oem pumps last ~100k give or take. I actually told a shop I wanted to replace mine because i knew it was at the end of its rope at 127k and I was already getting other necessities repaired. They looked at it and told me it was fine and not worth replacing yet. It gave up the ghost today, less than 50 miles driven about ~3 months later.

I second your second, mine was probably around 100-120k when it went. And when they go, they go suddenly with little to no hard starts to warn you.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will enjoy your grand dad's truck a lot longer if you keep the Honda. I had essentially the same Honda some time back and my current one is a later model of the same car. It is an excellent road car and with good maintenance will run essentially forever.

As others have said it is paying you at least 100 a month in gas savings. That is 1200 right there you could put into the truck. My last 5 speed Honda was at 200000 plus when I traded it on the present one. All systems worked including the AC.

EDIT.. the Honda will need a clutch at about 130,000 or so unless you are very easy on it. Other than that, keep the oil changed and brake pads when needed (before they wear completely out) and it will serve as a DD way longer than most.

Last edited:

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I second your second, mine was probably around 100-120k when it went. And when they go, they go suddenly with little to no hard starts to warn you.
That's exactly what happened to me. It's in getting brakes and suspension done and they went to start it up to get it aligned and it just wouldn't start, no chugging, just nothing.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the one thing stopping me...with selling the honda I could fully fund the truck to be finished.
If you daily drive the truck, it will never be finished; there will always be something that needs fixing. As much you may not want to admit it, a Honda will daily far cheaper, and that's before you count the gas costs. Let the Honda take the daily beating, and spend all the money you save on making that truck nice. The delayed gratification sucks, but that makes achieving the goal that much more fulfilling.

I daily an '06 Mustang GT (I have a short commute once a week), and I have no delusions that it will ever be "restored". I enjoy it for the daily driver it is, but once it starts falling apart, it's gonna be replaced by another reliable victim.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you daily drive the truck, it will never be finished; there will always be something that needs fixing. As much you may not want to admit it, a Honda will daily far cheaper, and that's before you count the gas costs.

Man, truer words have never been spoken about DDing these trucks at higher mileage. Mine was super reliable for most of the time I've had it but it seems to have hit a wall at this point (figuratively, I hope). Part of that is my fault, because I've modified it more and more and worked it harder and harder as the years go on, but it's also just age taking its toll.

That being said, those Hondas aren't perfect either. My wife drove a 92 accord for years, been in the family since new and meticulously maintained by the same mom and pop place since new, adult owned and daily driven around a small town. I don't remember the exact mileage when they got rid of it but it was in the high 200s, if not to 300k. It went through a few timing belts in that time though, and a few other expensive things in addition to the usual stuff. I still think it's worth keeping though. Just let the truck be a pet project. Having the second car gives you the freedom to do whatever you want with the truck and not have to worry about rushing to put it back together on Sunday night because you have to drive it to work tomorrow.

Most of my friends and family own modified and/or older cars, and the reliable backup cars end up getting used a lot more than anyone expects.

And make sure you have good insurance/AAA with a few free tows a year. You'll use them! Not often, but it's an ace up your sleeve that you will be glad you had in a pinch.

Last edited:

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The honda has been down for a week now. Started knocking on the bottom end...now trying to decide for motor or sell it as is. At work I have $400 worth of tires ready to go on and a new axle then the knock been driving the truck lol.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That's exactly what happened to me. It's in getting brakes and suspension done and they went to start it up to get it aligned and it just wouldn't start, no chugging, just nothing.
That's what happened with my Burb too. We drove it all over Houston, the week before we parked it(cause I got a hot battery in the crew cab and we needed to be in the AC!) Went to move it a couple days later, to go run it by the collision repair shop, and it wouldn't start. Cranked great, but no run, checked for fuel at the Schrader valve, nada! Did a bunch of diagnostic checks, everything else was fine. Replaced the pump and it starts right up, don't even have to tap the gas most of the time.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to add that right after the fuel pump was replaced the coolant temp sensor went out as well

Oh the joys of turning old vehicles into dailies

Last edited:

LDPosse

Reaction score
I have a '97 K1500.... L31 (350 5.7L), 4L60E, F44 chassis (14 sf rear)..... 234,610 miles as of this writing, still on the original driveline. I bought it in 2013 with 176,003 miles and it has been my daily on and off... Currently my daily since 11/2021 with no end in sight. It does have issues here and there, but it is comfortable to drive, and paid for.

Some mechanical things I have done over the course of ownership...
SFI to MPFI conversion, while apart for intake gasket replacement
Ignition module upgrade
Replace original distributor
Replace all brake lines with nicopp
Replace fuel lines with Nylon
Replace the entire HVAC system (compressor, evaporator, consenser, lines, heater core, blend actuators etc)
Replace radiator and water pump
Replace manifolds with shorty headers
Replace steering box with red-head unit
Replace variable effort power steering pump with '96 PS pump and pressure hose
2 full brake jobs (lots of towing and mountain driving)
2 (cheap) fuel tanks
2 fuel pumps
1 set of 2017 z71 wheels, 18"
Driveshaft re-balance after the OEM sound deadening layer grenaded off while driving
1 set of bed bolts from Totally Stainless

Probably some other odds and ends I'm forgetting about...
On the upside, I have addressed most of the problem areas of these trucks, and feel confident about driving it just about anywhere. They are great trucks, but with 200k+ on the clock, you'll have to be on top of maintenance and take care of known problem areas before they become an issue.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep the "toaster" umm I mean Honda as a daily driver. Then use your pickup back n forth to work maybe 1-2 times per week just for enjoyment purposes.

The reason i say toaster is the honda is basically an appliance. But then again my daily driver is a chevy HHR "toaster". I drive my 94 back and forth to work maybe 1-2 times per week.