"Turning off" ABS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a hypothetical question that in no way reflects my feelings about ABS.

Let's say I want to pull the ABS fuse and the ABS bulb in the dash. Are there any detrimental side effects to doing this...aside from not having ABS?

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I have pulled the fuse and tested the brakes. I have also unplugged the ABS unit under hood with the fuse intact and tested the brakes.
The brakes felt exactly the same.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Nope.

The ABS unit just goes into "bypass" when it is un-powered. The isolation valves close and it is essentially straight piping to the brakes as if it wasn't there at all:

You must be registered for see images attach

Easiest way to do it is just unplug the abs unit under the hood.

There will be no ABS and no dash light.

May I ask why the question? Is your ABS causing you problems?

Last edited:

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is because I learned to drive without ABS and when it operates it's unsettling to say the least. I just plain don't like it. From what I understand newer vehicles ABS systems work better, but in my truck I'm not a fan and I feel safer without it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
On both my 95 and 97 I pulled the 60A ABS fuse, and cut the purple wire to the ABS module. This completely powers down the ABS system without having to take the dash apart to remove the bulb.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I disconnected the cables from the ABS computer and everything seems fine. Will the truck still throw C#### codes for ABS stuff at all?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I disconnected the cables from the ABS computer and everything seems fine. Will the truck still throw C#### codes for ABS stuff at all?

Nope.

And codes are generated by the module under the hood, which is no longer powered so no codes can be generated.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I have the 60A fuse out and my unit unplugged, zero issues.

I only did it cause i broke one of the wires to the sensor while doing my lift, meant to fix it and never did.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
i left mine plugged in and cut the purple wire so that it keeps the stock look, with no harness laying around.