Turn signals won't flash.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doh! I thought I'd read all the posts. Sorry.

The emergency flashers always work, but they are run on a different relay in our truck.
Pages 30 and 85 of the 1989 Chevy C/K Truck Wiring Manual shows the turn signals running off the "Hazard Flasher" same as when the hazard switch is used. I'd suspect the ignition switch. Old school thinking is that your bulbs aren't making enough current draw to heat up and open the thermostatic element in the flasher can, but typically trucks used a different style flasher that didn't have that problem.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doh! I thought I'd read all the posts. Sorry.

Pages 30 and 85 of the 1989 Chevy C/K Truck Wiring Manual shows the turn signals running off the "Hazard Flasher" same as when the hazard switch is used. I'd suspect the ignition switch. Old school thinking is that your bulbs aren't making enough current draw to heat up and open the thermostatic element in the flasher can, but typically trucks used a different style flasher that didn't have that problem.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

This truck is wired differently. It has the square signal flasher relay in the fuse block and the can type emergency flasher relay mounted up on the side of the steering column behind the dash close to the emergency flasher switch. I've been working all day to figure this out. If the two systems were run together then the emergency flashers would not work when the ignition switch is off. When I remove the signal flasher, the emergency flashers work. It's looking like the signal switch on the column is bad.

Reaction score
All OE bulbs. Sometimes when using the signals, they won't flash. They come on but do not flash. Checked the bulbs and relay, all is fine. Has anyone had experience with this problem?
Try getting them to flash by taking out the fixtures and pressing the bulbs in a little, with the turn signal lever engaged, I had a similar problem and the actual fixtures for the turn signals had gotten loose on the inside.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try getting them to flash by taking out the fixtures and pressing the bulbs in a little, with the turn signal lever engaged, I had a similar problem and the actual fixtures for the turn signals had gotten loose on the inside.

Good call. We did all that when we changed all the bulbs and cleaned the sockets. They were in great condition for their age and no leaking lights.

Reaction score
Good call. We did all that when we changed all the bulbs and cleaned the sockets. They were in great condition for their age and no leaking lights.
Have you looked at the turn signal lever itself I know how much of a pain it is to fool around in the steering column but its worth a shot, other than fuses, relays or the fixture it may be worth investigating the wires themselves, Rockauto sells a pretty good repair manual that has some very useful wire diagrams for when someone has messed around and replaced the wires with different colors.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you looked at the turn signal lever itself I know how much of a pain it is to fool around in the steering column but its worth a shot, other than fuses, relays or the fixture it may be worth investigating the wires themselves, Rockauto sells a pretty good repair manual that has some very useful wire diagrams for when someone has messed around and replaced the wires with different colors.
Everything is pointing at that right now. I'm hoping it's a loose or dirty connection there. From what I can tell, just to get to it I'll have to remove the steering wheel to get the cover off the column to investigate.

Reaction score
Everything is pointing at that right now. I'm hoping it's a loose or dirty connection there. From what I can tell, just to get to it I'll have to remove the steering wheel to get the cover off the column to investigate.
I rebuilt my whole column a couple weeks ago it was a real pain in the ass and truthfully there are not a ton of great sources that illustrate how to take it apart and put it together. I would strongly recommend taking pictures as you take it apart cause it took me a whole day, also if the turn signal lever has cruise control you have to run the wire through the entire column which is not a great time, using a piece of string tied to it helps though. Good luck!