Turn signal madness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed new LED blinkers and headlights with a project that started as AC condenser/evaporator/pump fix. - I had to pull the dash and harness to get the HVAC box out. Since I had to replace the condenser, might as well install that HD headlight wiring harness, and go for those LED headlights/parking/turn signal sets that look cool. And... many other small and large mods...

I’m getting it back together, things are looking good as system holds a vacuum, but my blinker situation... the dash blinks like a turn signal if (if I remember correctly) I have the headlights and turn signals on...

WTF? I’ll check the LED turn signals, the resistor is probably not all plugged in on the right, but how can I have switched the dash and blinker???

The plugs aren’t really interchangeable - they’re all a little different. The only real tough spot I had was the firewall harness, but even that pretty much had dedicated wires that couldn’t be switched... at least I thought...

A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Are your turn signal indicators lit on the cluster while having the headlights+parks on? Solution: your markers are probably incandescents, buy some non-polairity sensitive LEDs here: https://www.amazon.com/Alla-Lighting-Bright-Yellow-Miniature/dp/B073DL28GM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526271341&sr=8-3&keywords=alla+lighting+amber+194+led&dpID=51RHjN%2B39IL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

If you swapped out your side markers with polarity sensitive LEDs, then swap them out for the LEDs linked above.

You could try using an LED flasher module for your truck as well, then you could remove all of that resistor junk from the parks and tails (if you got the LED tails). Leave the headlight resistors in place, if they have any.

I had this issue before, read here more information in my thread if you'd like: http://www.gmt400.com/threads/led-swap-problems.40730/

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I couldn’t get a video to load on Tapatalk last night, but I’ll try to get one of my gauge cluster blinking/flashing... I’m hoping that it’s just the gauge cluster assembly not being aligned in the circuit ribbon, and that the LED blinkers (good call, that’s probably the part of the issue) solve the rest.

Thanks for the link - just ordered some.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Yeah a video would be helpful if you are able to upload one. :) That'll give us a better view of what's happening. Be sure to report back when you install the new bulbs and what happens.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Your LED Turn Signals are most likely not plugged in the right way, both plugs for each light must be plugged in the correct way, if not it will easily do this. Happened to me once and I had no idea what was wrong until I unplugged everything and figured out what the right way was.
You think they will only go in one way but they will go in any way, so be careful. Go through those and thoroughly check those because that's an easy place to start.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your LED Turn Signals are most likely not plugged in the right way, both plugs for each light must be plugged in the correct way, if not it will easily do this. Happened to me once and I had no idea what was wrong until I unplugged everything and figured out what the right way was.
You think they will only go in one way but they will go in any way, so be careful. Go through those and thoroughly check those because that's an easy place to start.

Sent it all back. I saw the sockets had one way they can go (one side notch is a little higher than the other) but still caused gremlins like hell, and the wiring/plug was cheap, came apart on two of the 4 plugs. I sent it back. It was an Amazon purchase, I expect I’ll get a return.

So my flashing dash is gone, didn’t get to capture that one on video, but I’ve lost gauge and climate control lights. Not warning lights, AC button, just the illumination on gauges and climate control (both dash and overhead climate control). The actual control knob on the left side for lights is ok, just lost everything else.

Checked and changed fuses with extras, no good. Anything else I could check on?

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
I have that same headlight switch, they look great. Glad you found out the issue!! Do you still have the LEDs in or did you sent it all back?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a feeling the headlight switch might be the issue. Those things can cause so many problems when they start to go bad. Thanks for letting us know!