Turn off DRL's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6d8muscle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 and I want to turn off the DRL's because I'm going to run Silverstar bulbs. I pulled the fuse inside on the side of the dash that says DRL/FOG and they still work. ??????? What am I missing? I thought I did this on my 98 and they went out. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks :hmm:

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is you pulled the wrong fuse. I did at first, until I found out the numbers are placed weird, had to really trace where the fuse was.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I pulled the fuse on my '98 and it worked, check this site....

EDIT: I'll have to look for it later

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I see in your avitar pic that your truck has fog lights, are they factory fogs? If so, pulling the fuse will make them not work.

As an alternative, there is a cigarette pack sized finned black heat sink (this is a double diode, 2 volt drop) located near the steering column, by the right driver's knee under the dash. Unplug the 2 wire connector.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's really easy to pull the wrong fuse. I have a friend with a '97 getting all upset when he tried to kill his. When I looked, he had pulled the wrong fuse.

6d8muscle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, I pulled the wrong one. They are number on top of the fuse not the bottom. I had to get my big head in there to see. My fogs are wired differently, so they didn't die. Thanks guys!

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
I see in your avitar pic that your truck has fog lights, are they factory fogs? If so, pulling the fuse will make them not work.

As an alternative, there is a cigarette pack sized finned black heat sink (this is a double diode, 2 volt drop) located near the steering column, by the right driver's knee under the dash. Unplug the 2 wire connector.
So in unplugging those wires stock fog lights will still work? If so awesome if been looking for a simple way to “kill” dtrl’s for ever now! Lol now if I need to go put in work I can do it on the creep without pushing the E brake pedal down!! Hahaha

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So in unplugging those wires stock fog lights will still work? If so awesome if been looking for a simple way to “kill” dtrl’s for ever now! Lol now if I need to go put in work I can do it on the creep without pushing the E brake pedal down!! Hahaha

Not sure if the Escalade/Denali DRLs are the same as the rest of the GMT400 trucks... But if they are then that's correct, removing or disconnecting the DRL diode shouldn't mess with anything else. Here's an old YouTube video that shows the diode and its location, he starts showing it around the one minute mark.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media