Turbocharged 5.7 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha, I showed my fiancee the pics and asked if she knew what they were, she kinda knew, I said well the one isn't supposed to be broke, nor is the other one supposed to bent.
LOL my girlfriend's response was "Oh s***! So guess you can't rebuild it.":D that block and four piston and rods are being turned into a coffee table:cheers:

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally found a good way to give everyone a peek at the new turbo location

You must be registered for see images attach

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Those 4.0s sound like a goddamn 12 valve with a turbo on them!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those 4.0s sound like a goddamn 12 valve with a turbo on them!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah I know they sound really cool I would almost call them the poor mans Cummins. Jeeps are okay never really liked the quality of them compared to our trucks but lets not get too off topic. My concerns now are Vortec head swap (or Vortec engine with TBI on top) what do need to know because I did a lot of searching on here but never had rock solid answers. Throttle linkage is my big concern because of the trans kick down and the way it mounts to the engine i want to run the factory trans for now. The other concern is how would it effect the factory tune i have heard it will and it wont do much? Next what options do i have for pluming in the boost reference fuel pressure regulator? I kinda gave up on a vortec 454 when I started heard the turbo on the truck for the first time. I eventually want to be able to post a step by step guide on turbo charging these trucks starting out with the TBI first and then Vortecs.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I have vortec heads with the TBI intake, what specifically are you wanting to know? I have a 5 speed, so I can't directly answer transmission kickdown angles or anything like that.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have vortec heads with the TBI intake, what specifically are you wanting to know? I have a 5 speed, so I can't directly answer transmission kickdown angles or anything like that.
The way my throttle linkage is set up the the brackets that hold the cables use the back two driver side intake bolts or one bolt. but the obvious difference in the vortec bolt angles has me stumped on how to solve this and where to look for for answers. like is there a bracket that i can buy or do I have to make something?

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
The way my throttle linkage is set up the the brackets that hold the cables use the back two driver side intake bolts or one bolt. but the obvious difference in the vortec bolt angles has me stumped on how to solve this and where to look for for answers. like is there a bracket that i can buy or do I have to make something?

With the GMPP vortec tbi intake there’s a predrilled boss for the bracket. I can take a picture for you in the daylight tomorrow to show you what I’m talking about

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the GMPP vortec tbi intake there’s a predrilled boss for the bracket. I can take a picture for you in the daylight tomorrow to show you what I’m talking about
Well I never knew that. Has me sold on the GMPP intake and I am very curious to see how it looks I will thank you in advance.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Well that has me sold on the GMPP intake and I am very curious to see how it looks I will thank you in advance.

Yeah I about died when I shelled out $400 for the dang thing. However, looking back now, I love how my engine is put together, it’s leaps and bounds better than the old anemic TBI motor.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I about died when I shelled out $400 for the dang thing. However, looking back now, I love how my engine is put together, it’s leaps and bounds better than the old anemic TBI motor.
I think would rather have an intake to make it look more factory. I would much rather have a more stock looking engine and not a cobbled together mess. With that being said I'm going to have to hold off hold off on any Vortec heads. So this brings me back to having to use an anemic set of TBI heads and cam for now. Any suggestions? Here is a picture of my throttle linkage.

Last edited: