turbo 400 kickdown solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think the old land yachts had a physical switch near the pedal to send that 12V downshift signal to the trans. That's one of the many things the 83 Monte in my sig needs addressed. My apologies if that was already mentioned, I skimmed the replies as some were quite lengthy. I can't speak to the modulator in a boosted application that does not have a throttle body for vacuum.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect--but do not "know"--that the "bread truck" solution involves a vacuum pump and a regulator; and the regulator has a kickdown switch internally. (As indicated in a prior post.) Where you'd get those parts, how they're arraigned/adjusted, and what sort of vacuum/wiring they'd need, I have no idea.

GM has provided the electrical signal for the kickdown solenoid in multiple different ways. The aftermarket has it's own solutions.

The "switch by the gas pedal" works well...IF (big IF) there's a bracket made for the vehicle in question. I put such a Treasure-yard bracket and switch into my '68 'Camino. But that sort of OEM bracket won't exist for the GMT400 since kickdown was handled by the ECM. You'd have to fabricate something.

For the record, the kickdown would happen prior to WFO; perhaps at ~85% throttle opening when the switch was adjusted properly.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some ideas, here (and probably elsewhere):

and

Try this search string in Google:

4bt engine th400 transmission

Last edited: