Tuning for e-fan conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tooturntdad

Reaction score
Whats up guys. Done some digging on some old threads on some e-fan conversions and after looking at the pros and cons on some of them Ive decided to snag some gmt800 fans for a more simpler install.

I also seen that these forums were of older trucks and iirc they didnt need a tune to run the fans. I could also misread some things too about said “tune”. Not sure if its in relation to not sticking a probe through the radiator or not.

Originally I was 100% on just buying a relay and fuse and an adjustable controller and stick a probe through the radiator fins and call it a day. Then read some people were tuning their trucks. Just wanted to double check before I take on this task and then regret my decision for not fully understanding and being a little confused. Goes to the old saying “measure twice cut once”

Oh, trucks a 96 tahoe.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's a mistake to change from a clutch fan that WORKS to electric fans. But that's me.

Seems like a lot of work, expense, and headache for no real gains. You take a load off the water pump bearings, but put it onto the alternator.

I've got better things to do with my labor and money.

tooturntdad

Reaction score
I think it's a mistake to change from a clutch fan that WORKS to electric fans. But that's me.

Seems like a lot of work, expense, and headache for no real gains. You take a load off the water pump bearings, but put it onto the alternator.

I've got better things to do with my labor and money.
Im not all too worried about the alternator as Im adding a second one anyway due to building a sound system and walling off the back half of the truck. I dont tow with it and if I did its just a light 8x8 single axle trailer to haul a some small furniture or so.

The efan idea is just to get rid of the dreaded drone it gives when driving. Mine kicks on all the time during a cold start and you can hear it under load.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is my write up on what I did, and how I did it. I love my electric fans. It is a grate swap. Also a grate improvent on how well the AC works at idle, along with all the other benefits.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, and the Cadillac fans are very quite when they are running, but they move a ton of air. I live in South Louisiana. It is very hot down here most of the year. As you can see from my thread, I did this swap back in 2018. I am still very happy with it.

tooturntdad

Reaction score
Oh, and the Cadillac fans are very quite when they are running, but they move a ton of air. I live in South Louisiana. It is very hot down here most of the year. As you can see from my thread, I did this swap back in 2018. I am still very happy with it.
definitely will give a read for sure. i appreciate the help!

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No problem. Everything you need to know is in my thread. If you have any questions, just ask.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The efan idea is just to get rid of the dreaded drone it gives when driving. Mine kicks on all the time during a cold start and you can hear it under load.
Yeah, they'll engage briefly when first started, but that shouldn't last more than a few seconds.

If the truck is getting warm enough to engage the fan clutch, won't it be getting warm enough to engage the electric fans? I get the impression you're going to be hearing the fans just as much whether electric or clutch.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Switching to electric fans gives you back a little bit of gas mileage and horsepower, but you give up a little bit of reliability. The calculus is up to the owner. I started to switch to electric, but stuck with a clutch fan.

tooturntdad

Reaction score
Yeah, they'll engage briefly when first started, but that shouldn't last more than a few seconds.

If the truck is getting warm enough to engage the fan clutch, won't it be getting warm enough to engage the electric fans? I get the impression you're going to be hearing the fans just as much whether electric or clutch.
Doesnt make sense that it would engage right before it even gets to temp or peak it. Gets old when youre turning on to a busy road (where I work) and then the only thing you hear is the fan roaring as youre trying to get to speed. Thats all what Im trying to eliminate. Wont kick on at any other given time. Just when its initially started and driven.

I thought itd kick on around operating temps after driving it for x-amount of time. not at the very beginning