Trying to wrap my head around LS Swap wiring for my 96 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Quick question, is your swap DBW or DBC? Just curious, because DBW will add some $$ both to the cost of the Holley, and to making the pedal work, but will make cruise control really easy.

For the speedo, I'm not sure how the Holley handles that signal, but I would assume it would have an output if you get the trans control model. I'm super interested to learn how that would work because The Terminator looks really promising so far. On the 96-99, the speed sensor pins to the PCM, and from the PCM to the cluster (Dk Green wire).

I can personally confirm the F-body ECT does work, as I have used it one mine. Some folks report the gauge reading may be a little off, but so far mine is pretty accurate. You could always use the RH cylinder head plug and use your 96 sender with an adapter. That's up to you. Personally, I like the cleaner look of the F-body sensor.

Fuel level shouldn't be an issue and you shouldn't even have to mess with it. Should be a purple wire on pin (I think) 16 on the cluster that runs back to the tank.

Oil pressure, I would use an adapter and use your stock 96 sender and the gauge will work.

Volt meter - It just works since it senses system voltage. Think of it sort of like a built in Fluke Meter.

Last edited:

Matt327

Reaction score
I'm running DBC. The Holley does have the ability to set the speed as one of the outputs so I'm thinking that will work if I hook that to the speedo.

One question about the oil pressure sender. Where do you put the obs sender on the gen 3 engine since the Holley system uses the stock gen 3 location behind the intake?

All of these gauges working is honestly just OCD on my part. Everything except fuel level is displayed on the touch screen that comes with the Holley system.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
You put the sender in the gen 3 location behind the intake. On mine, I used an M16 to 1/4 npt adapter and slammed the OBS sender in there, and voila! Easy peezy. Bonus is that it's way easier to access now that you won't have a distributor to fight around.

Matt327

Reaction score
is there another spot to put the OBS sensor? the Gen 3 sensor will be in the stock location and hooked up to the holley. if i went the standalone GM PCM then it would work cause it doesnt need the oil pressure anyways

Reaction score
I'm planning on swapping a LQ4 into my 96 in place of a 5.7. It seems fairly straightforward when using the stock LS wiring harness and PCM (i've seen how to strip down the obs harness and then make the LS a standalone and integrate) That was fine and good, then Holley released the Terminator X, now i'm thinking of going that way.

To integrate this into my truck i'm thinking i'd have to strip down the OBS harness and remove all engine and trans. wiring, install the TerminatorX and then move things like fuel pump and other stuff over to the X from the stock PCM, am I right so far?

How then would I make the stock gauge cluster work as well as the stock AC? does the stock PCM stay and perform some of these functions or is it dead?

I'm new and doing all the research I can on this subject, thanks in advance.

I did a DMAX swap on mine. Harness Swap Shop on Facebook did my harness, I just cut out everything I didn't need. I couldn't ever find anything good enough to run the gauge cluster. Just finally gave up and got the Dakota Digital dash, expensive, but worth it. Still havent figured out my AC wiring yet though