Trying to install 8 bolt center caps on my stock rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a dually cap. I know for a fact they (srw) will fit. Just not sure what is going on, why need to see pics of what you actually have.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a dually cap. I know for a fact they (srw) will fit. Just not sure what is going on, why need to see pics of what you actually have.
DRW or SRW if he's got the FF 14 bolt he has that large hub to clear. That's why I said if he's trying to use shallow caps from a SF 8 lug then that may be the issue.

Richard

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SRW doesn’t matter, same cap. I had a 97 with the full float and had same caps as ones off a semi float. Only the dually’s had the extra deep cap...

PEIslander

Reaction score
I think I found the reason. The rear wheels (which were actually on the front when I bought the truck but have since been rotated to the rears) are different then the front. It appears the rear rims were designed for a doggie dish cap and the "bumps" between the lugnuts are taller and aren't allowing the cap to sit deeper onto the rim:
You must be registered for see images attach

At first glance it appears the cap sits flush against the wheel but it's resting against those bumps

I wonder if this is a Dodge rim?
I doubt rotating the wheel back to the front would make any difference. I may try modifying the caps for the rear. I have a junk cap that I may try notching to clear the bumps on the rims. The cap and trim ring looks pretty good on the front so I hope I can get them to work on the rear.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Um, interesante!

I can't really tell the difference between those 2 rims, but probably the photos don't show the true perspective...

But yeah, if they are Dodge rims, then as Eric O from South Main Auto would say, "...well there's your problem lady!" LOL

Glad you figured it out! The suspense was building up!

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are like bump stops on the back side of the cap. Remove them, see if that makes a difference. If not then start trimming till it fits. I'd think I'd just find the right wheels lol, but I'm weird like that...

PEIslander

Reaction score
Well I went the hillbilly route and notched two of the caps. They fit nicely now!

When I find proper GM rims I'll spring for a pair of new caps. Here's the truck in all it's two tone glory with the caps and rings on

Next year she'll get blown apart and painted all red.