Trying to get that specific exhaust sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxChevyGuy

Reaction score
This is my first SBC. And I want that classic sound.

Personally the sound I have now is too deep
Currently I have TBI engine, with factory exhaust manifolds, factory Y pipe into a long glass pack. Probably 24-30 inches long and no cats. It's pretty deep and sounds like every other Chevy truck on the street

So the sound I want are like these two YouTube videos. I know the engine has a cam in it, but hard to say how much that makes it sound like it.

Plans are a GM L31 crate with headers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I appreciate any help. And your video with exhaust and engine setup would help alot if you have one.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First Camaro has flowmasters. Orange is hard to tell cause they dump under the car. But if you want a nice sound, could go cheap and easy, get rid of the glass pack and put a flowmaster, cherry bomb welded, or whatever the fake flowmasters are called. Not gonna get the sound like those with your setup, but will still sound good. Shoot I put a flowmaster on a stock S-10, replaced the muffler with the flow, at idle it sounded like a V-8 lol, but rev'd up could tell it was a 6....

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are not going to get that sound unless you cam the **** out of it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cam, heads, headers/exhaust, but the one thing everyone has missed so far is exhaust. Duals with an x pipe will definitely make the exhaust more shrill. But as long as it idles down at 500 RPMs smooth as glass it'll always have that deep rumble. RPMs and airflow make a huge difference in WOT sound as well. 7000 RPM motors sound way more awesome than 5000 RPM motors.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the dynomax ultraflowa. I have a pair for my Duster

On a cammed up engine and some compression with a x pipe.

About the same muffler on a stock truck

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
90 tbi, I`ve used it hard the 20+ years I owned it and now I`m turning it into my retirement toy. I had used turbo mufflers that had a nice sound but It had been patched up time and again and the big cat on this one got to hitting the crossmember on bumps. I ditched the cat and used a 3" pipe from walker and a stainless muffler off ebay dual 2.5 outlets. I hav`nt had the tailpipes made yet but this thing sounds really different. I wish I could make a vid with sound but anyway here`s the link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649