Truck sponteniously puked ATF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
This is no help, but I love an ATF party in my back country property. Now this being a GMT 400 forum, I do not think there are any Canadian Liberal Green Energy Wack Nutters to report me to the RCMP. ( I love my Canada, and the US) No better place to be on planet earth.
That's it ... my invisible solar panels are reporting you to the RCMP. Although, uh, it seems more of an OPP jurisdiction. No? LOL

Also, winter isn't coming ... it's already here by an inch or two. I'm a little more north than you are though. :)

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BlackBear, woke up to two inches today, but it did not stick. It is all OPP in my area. I just said RCMP, not too confuse our US cousins. And our PAL is RCMP administered.

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the truck has been parked for a few days in the driveway with E-Brake on. Battery is out so has not been started or shifted. All was fine until this morning. I came outside and there are a couple of puddles of ATF under the truck (one large, one smaller). Any idea what would cause that?
You must be registered for see images attach

Ah yes, the 4L60E pukefest! I have 3 huge stains on the parking lot because of this- landlords just love me right now. Mine, and the others that have had the same spot in the same place as yours (and mine) have been caused by minor overfill that pukes out of the dipstick tube seal, onto the crossmember, down to the exhaust pipe and all over the ground. So much fun! Start by wiping everything down with rags for the heavy stuff, then brake clean to get the rest and leave a dry surface. Warm the truck up with a 20 minute or so drive, park on a LEVEL surface (OH is this important!) and check your fluid level, you're probably a bit high.
I had the misfortune of bending the dipstick stop bracket on the transmission case while working down there and that was giving me false readings. If I let it sit, go out and start it without driving it (haven't started the truck in a week or two, think I'll run it for a few minutes and let it warm up). Within hours, here we go again, a big red puddle resembling Lake Michigan is running down the parking lot. Again. Hope this helps

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah yes, the 4L60E pukefest! I have 3 huge stains on the parking lot because of this- landlords just love me right now. Mine, and the others that have had the same spot in the same place as yours (and mine) have been caused by minor overfill that pukes out of the dipstick tube seal, onto the crossmember, down to the exhaust pipe and all over the ground. So much fun! Start by wiping everything down with rags for the heavy stuff, then brake clean to get the rest and leave a dry surface. Warm the truck up with a 20 minute or so drive, park on a LEVEL surface (OH is this important!) and check your fluid level, you're probably a bit high.
I had the misfortune of bending the dipstick stop bracket on the transmission case while working down there and that was giving me false readings. If I let it sit, go out and start it without driving it (haven't started the truck in a week or two, think I'll run it for a few minutes and let it warm up). Within hours, here we go again, a big red puddle resembling Lake Michigan is running down the parking lot. Again. Hope this helps

Thank you. Yes, I may have checked the trans fluid before it was up to temp and added a quart unnecessarily.

What's the best way to clean the ATF off of my driveway?

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
spray it down with a good degreaser, add some HOT water to it, scrub with a brush to agitate the oil, soak it up with pig mats- this has worked on our asphalt parking lot

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the truck has been parked for a few days in the driveway with E-Brake on. Battery is out so has not been started or shifted. All was fine until this morning. I came outside and there are a couple of puddles of ATF under the truck (one large, one smaller). Any idea what would cause that?
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks to me like someone just poured out some ATF under your truck to mess with you. Last year before graduating I did that to an ******* in my school parking lot who always bragged about his dad's brand new Duramax he drove to school.

After he put my truck up for sale on craigslist, with my phone number and address, I had to get back at him.

I poured a bunch of ATF on the ground under his truck, and put a couple of zip ties on the driveshaft.

He ended up having the truck towed thinking his transmission was blown up.

Serves him right for putting all of my personal information out there. I got like 50 calls, emails, and texts as a result.

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, after dealing with this for over 2 years, I finally found the leak. Turns out the TV cable seal is busted AND the cable bracket is not sitting flush with the transmission. Ordered a new seal and should be getting it done this week.

Question is, do I need to disconnect the cable at the TB to do this, and will I need to readjust the cable afterwards?

Attachments

• PXL_20230225_214524726.jpg
    PXL_20230225_214524726.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20230225_214458204.jpg
    PXL_20230225_214458204.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 18