Truck not reaching park all the way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dannothemanno

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my truck back from the trans shop with my rebuilt trans and we'll I noticed that when you switch the gear to park the light won't show and it feels like it's not in park would I need to adjust the cable or could the cable be twisted in some way
And could this be causing the truck to feel or take it a little bit to get into gear

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go underneath driver side and pop linkage off. See if it will go further into park position. Please make sure either wheels are blocked or parking brake set. If moves further, than you know it's a cable issue.

Dannothemanno

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go underneath driver side and pop linkage off. See if it will go further into park position. Please make sure either wheels are blocked or parking brake set. If moves further, than you know it's a cable issue.
OK I'll check it out

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got my truck back from the trans shop
OK I'll check it out
Don't be silly. This is not your problem. Don't dick with it. This is the Trans shop's problem. THEY need to dick with it.

You screw with the linkage, and a week later the trans fails. Even if there's no relation, the trans shop will blame you for the failure.

They need to know that they didn't do a proper job. Let them fix it.

Dannothemanno

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be silly. This is not your problem. Don't dick with it. This is the Trans shop's problem. THEY need to dick with it.

You screw with the linkage, and a week later the trans fails. Even if there's no relation, the trans shop will blame you for the failure.

They need to know that they didn't do a proper job. Let them fix it.
yeah I'll have to take the to them again

Dannothemanno

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now it seems to me that the cable is too short do you know how can loosen it

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are always adjustments, but seldom do they need made. What year is truck??

Dannothemanno

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are always adjustments, but seldom do they need made. What year is truck??
It's a 97 and I got It adjusted now to where it will go into park but It won't go into 1 all the way but the light will go into 1

Dannothemanno

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you made progress. Sounds like just a little fine tuning.....
Yeah and I just hope I don't have to take the truck back to the Trans shop for the 3rd time this makes want to get a 4l80e now because of wasting most of my time just on a 4l60e